1919 dated gear question

bheskett

I have a cartridge belt dated 1919 and am sure there are other items made that year. What other items do you guys have that are dated from just after the war. I know there was a ton leftover but there must be other items besides the belts.

Thanks

Bob

​It's my understanding that these 1919 dated items were manufactured in preparation of the summer offensive of 1919 that obviously never came. I would presume, these contracts were awarded just prior to the Armistice based off a fiscal and calendar year of projected requirements. Due to their rarity, I would assume the contracts were systematically cancelled only after some quantifies were manufactured and delivered. So, I would guess any item that would have a high consumption rate such as field gear would had been placed on procurement. That's the theme I'm seeing posted by Robin and addition of the cartridge belt, all standard issued items to most all service members. I suppose the items missing are the bolt and ammunition pouches for the Pederson Device, these are also dated 1919 if i recall correctly?

​Something to always keep in mind is that procuremnts are always most often initiated for a year in advance, as an example, those contracts awarded in 1945 were projected for use and issue in 1946.

Dustin, great observation. I was just playing with my haversacks and have one from 1915, 16, 17, and 18 and thought hmm I wonder.

Bob

From my research, most all contracts were canceled in November of 1918. Rock Island Arsenal kept production going into 1919. My guess is to keep the staff employed more than anything else. By mid-May 1919 all production of Ordnance Dept. related web gear was shifted to Jeffersonville Arsenal.

​Though cancelled, it doesn't mean production immediately stopped. Costs would had occurred and reimbursed with authorization to continue with some level of delivery to some established quantity figure. Production for those contractors most likely carried over to the new year but not too long. For example, upon issuance of the notice to cancel, the company would had replied to something like...We have X amount ready for delivery and materials for the assembly of Y amount more, this will be our out of pocket cost for that existing stock. Often there is some agreed upon terms much like a bankruptcy negotiation. That would be my only feasible explanation for those observed materials outside of RIA. Of course, I don't recall if web gear is dated with fiscal or calendar years. If fiscal, then maybe the material wasn't manufactured/assembled in 1919 at all.