WWII Jungle Field Equipment

dustin

​Thanks for the contribution!

​Here are some closer images that clearly are neoprene bands and they Are camouflaged, like stated they were probably painted while on the liner at the factory?

post-56-0-19602100-1518895525.jpg

​This is the best evidence they were done together, note how the same camo pattern transfers from the liner to the band, obviously they were painted together.

.post-56-0-16065300-1518895550.jpg

Now, if anyone wants to contribute images of other jungle warfare items....go for it.

Most are familiar with the waterproof clothing bag or mountain sleeping bag case but does anyone have the smaller version for the jungle pack they'd like to post. It is a liner for the pack, not the small articles pouches. Essentially there are three sizes of the waterproof bags, large, medium and small. The medium will slip right into the jungle pack, also the smaller bag was allotted for the assembly as well I believe two or three. Other items for potential posting would be the mosquito gloves, TL-194 flashlight, maybe work on making a comprehensive reference of these jungle items?! to include special clothing like the coverall and jungle boots.

This is a confirmed 7th Div. helmet net and band. It is the same type band as the OP has shown in his vintage photos. This is a true neoprene band, and NOT cut from an inner tube. The edges are rounded/beveled. A QM issued band as shown in the 1943 catalog. Due to their fragile nature, very few have survived.

And there you have it , what a beauty !

Thanks for sharing

D.C

​Thanks for the addition QM.

​Here is another look at the jungle helmet band, note the camouflage pattern on the band matches the helmet liner.

post-56-0-26940900-1518973957_thumb.jpg

​One of the more interesting aspects to one of the images is the hunting knife. It appears to be the commercial production of the Robeson No.20, but if you note, a 1910 belt hook is used to secure it to the cartridge belt. This is actually a simple application by taking a loose hook and slipping it through the slots provided on the scabbard, not physical modifications are necessary.

post-56-0-36088600-1518976544.jpg

The black neoprene camouflage helmet band being worn on jungle troop helmet liners while on amphibious maneuvers in Australia by 32nd ID troops in July 1943.

post-296-0-38345700-1518999821_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

​Before I branched off and specialized I collected everything US, several of my favorite areas were Mountain and Jungle equipment. A big help was referencing the reprint of the QMC historical study on special forces material. Part of the complete assembly tested and adopted for Jungle warfare was the one-piece jungle suit, complemented with the Mosquito Gloves, M-1942 headnet, and two floatation bladders.

​Here is an official War Department image attachicon.gifCamo (4)c.jpgexhibiting that basic assembly.

attachicon.gifCamo (4)c.jpg

Hi Dustin, thanks some awesome photographs I haven't seen before, if you don't mind could I add my Westinghouse camouflage liner to your thread. Sadly the inside has some hand-sewn repairs to the suspension, appears that it may have suffered from humidity during use.

great pieces as well added by other members . . . . . .

lewis.

post-344-0-37107800-1519025878_thumb.jpg

Early mosquito helmet cover. It has a hole for drinking with a straw (I think) and it folds in half.

It has a hole in the top that fits over the helmet.

post-154139-0-77649800-1519082956.jpg

post-154139-0-57580500-1519082967.jpg