G. I. Collectors guide

ncweo

Is the G.I. Collectors Guide Volume 2, by Enjames, a continuation where the first one left off or is it the same book as volume 1 with more information in it. My question is, should you buy both, or does the second volume cover everything in the first? thanks for your help.

According to the description on Amazon (where you can preorder for about 40.95 W/FREE SHIPPING!) volume II is an updated and revised edition with over an additional 1000 items. I passed on ordering the first volume and just pre-ordered the second as it's my understanding that it will have everything from the 1st volume plus additional info...276 pages

Product Description

After the release of Volume 1, many readers and collectors pointed out several pieces they possessed which were missing from the book. Although including each and every item issued to the American soldier is a near impossible goal, the author started making a list of what should included in a reprint.

All chapters from volume 1 have been revised and updated (among others: uniforms, signal and medical equipment) and new sections have been added, including personal equipment, Stateside training, and the life of POWs in German camps.

More than 1,000 new artefacts with detailed captions are featured in this completely revised new work. Volume 2 of the G.I. Collector's Guide provides a complete and unequaled source of American ground force documentation for collectors and enthusiasts alike.

I haven't yet seen the second volume and don't know its content.

But I am going to buy it in the strength of the first volume. thumbsup.gif

Same here, I thought the first edition was a great resource, I am very much looking forward to the second edition.

Johan Willaert
I am very much looking forward to the second edition.

You should! There will be several Mountain Items which were not covered in the first book....

You should! There will be several Mountain Items which were not covered in the first book....

Wow, great, thanks for the heads up. I was thriving for some more coverage on the mountain/ski trooper gear in the first edition and a little more clarity on some of the items that were pictured in the first edition as some of the descriptions were vague.

I just hope it's caught up in "book limbo hell" like some other books that have been "coming soon" for a very long time (like Detrez's Market Garden book, I think now more than 6 years coming soon? :blink: Meanwhile, he thinks you can never write enough Normandy books... thumbdown.gif )

More than 1000 new items but approximately only ten more pages? I think there will be missing something from volume 1.

Johan Willaert

Lee,

I saw a draft-version of the GICG2 in June at a show in France, where I ran into the author. I know several collectors that have lent out items that will be featured in the book.

So I believe the book is definately on its way and will probably be out before Christmas...

This morning I was told (by the publisher) that it is expected to arrive from the printers in three weeks. Add another month or so for shipping to the USA.

More than 1000 new items but approximately only ten more pages? I think there will be missing something from volume 1.
Maybe I had misunderstood this from the start, but I thought this was a part two, not the same book with a few changes. I know the first edition got changed halfway through the run as earlier copies had a page of language guides which included a very much postwar French guide (complete with Department of Defense insignia on the cover). I've actually won a few bets with other collectors who refuse to believe the early versions have that in it. I still have my copy of it where it's right there.

Hi,

Yesterday, I contacted Henri-Paul Enjames about his new book.

He told me :

1) The book will be available on the first week of December.

2) This is not a revised edition.

3) This book is an additional volume, more than 1,000 new items will be pictured in it.

Dan.

Hi,

Yesterday, I contacted Henri-Paul Enjames about his new book.

He told me :

1) The book will be available on the first week of December.

2) This is not a revised edition.

3) This book is an additional volume, more than 1,000 new items will be pictured in it.

Dan.

Dan, thanks for good news.

Hi,

this second book won't be a remake of the first one.

You will find new items in it, in every chapters.

What was missing will be there (paratrooper, mountain, etc...).

Also a fine french collection of little stuff has been lent to HPE, and you won't be desappointed.

Anyway, we all are collectors, and to own first one obliges us to buy the second, ain't it ?

Foxy bye1.gif

Ok....Im getting confused....I dont have Volume 1....should I just buy Volume 2 when it comes out or should I buy both Volume 1 and Volume 2 ??... think.gif ...mike

Hi,

this second book won't be a remake of the first one.

You will find new items in it, in every chapters.

What was missing will be there (paratrooper, mountain, etc...).

Also a fine french collection of little stuff has been lent to HPE, and you won't be desappointed.

Anyway, we all are collectors, and to own first one obliges us to buy the second, ain't it ?

Foxy bye1.gif

The first edition did have coverage of both the mountain troopers and the paratroopers. It also covered the Women Army Corp and the armored division as well.

I provided information for his section on Chaplains.
Good, Chaplain stuff is long overdue for good documention. I wonder if he'll cover Correspondents? I wish I'd been able to contact him as I could have gotten some good photos from items from my collection if he'd wanted them.

Hi,

5 past twelve, I'm live on phone with HPE.

First hand news : the book will be on the market in France in 2 weeks.

So, certainly available for december in USA.

Foxy

Hi,

5 past twelve, I'm live on phone with HPE.

First hand news : the book will be on the market in France in 2 weeks.

So, certainly available for december in USA.

Foxy

Doesn't he have interest to join this forum?

Greetz ;)

David

Johan Willaert

Just got the December issue of the French Militaria Magazine and it features an ad for the GICG2.

Description says the chapter of the first edition have been enriched with many items which were missing from the first volume and new themes have been added, such as: Personal effects, Objects relating to Basic Training in the US, POW items, etc...

In Europe it's available as from now, in French or in English and costs 44,95Euros.

In addition the magazine features an ad for a book about the 9th Air Force which will be available in December...

Johan

dogfacedsoldier

I preordered mine the other day, and it will be Feb to April before I see it, but it beats the $65. it will sell for when out. I saw $65 for the 1st edition at a military show in Nov. I paid $45. for mine.

Jon