Air Medal Question

MPage

Does anyone know what the Navy regs were in the 50s - early 60s, regarding star appurtenances on the AM? I have this on a uniform that dates to the early 60s, but this Marine officer has the smaller bronze stars on his AM. I'm pretty sure this uniform wasn't humped up.

post-257-0-93728800-1518585343.jpg

I've also seen and owned groups with those smaller stars before, in lieu of the large gold ones. Those groups too were righteous and not put together.

But for a concrete answer as to why or the regs of the time...I don't have one. :(

Is that an Air Force PUC in the center of second row?

I'm certain it's the Army PUC (then called the DUC), probably for the Pusan Perimeter. It's the narrower USAF style however, so that it can fit onto the ribbon rack.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this listed for ten days on everybody's favorite auction site, starting at ninety-nine with free shipping and...it ended without even one bid. I cannot believe this.

Captainofthe7th

I've been having some trouble selling uniforms at my asking prices lately. I'm surprised at some that sell and others sit. I was watching this for awhile, but just am not focusing on Marine aviators at the moment.

By the way - it looks 100% correct, I see the small bronze stars instead of the gold stars frequently.

Rob

I've been having some trouble selling uniforms at my asking prices lately. I'm surprised at some that sell and others sit. I was watching this for awhile, but just am not focusing on Marine aviators at the moment.

By the way - it looks 100% correct, I see the small bronze stars instead of the gold stars frequently.

Rob

Yeah I'm glad to hear that, about the stars.

I'm certain it's the Army PUC (then called the DUC), probably for the Pusan Perimeter. It's the narrower USAF style however, so that it can fit onto the ribbon rack.

This means that his military unit was awarded the PUC, later he was transferred to another unit that was not elected to the PUC. So do not use the left side, but the medal bar on the right?

This means that his military unit was awarded the PUC, later he was transferred to another unit that was not elected to the PUC. So do not use the left side, but the medal bar on the right?

No, for the Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force, the PUC (or any unit award for that matter) is included with the recipient's other ribbons on the wearer's left chest.