Did I miss something here?

trenchfoot

I was eyeing this helmet on eBay until it jumped to over a thousand dollars in the last few minutes. My question here is WHY it jumped that high. It's missing the liner and although it has a follow me bar and net, I don't think its a $1,000 helmet. Any ideas?

(and yes, the pictures were this bad in the listing)

post-163344-0-37179900-1518524990.jpgpost-163344-0-75645100-1518524999.jpgpost-163344-0-22992700-1518525024.jpgpost-163344-0-46196100-1518525031.jpg

I didn't see this one, but maybe there was a name on the NCO stripe that traced out. People like nets, nets are sexy. Maybe just two bidders both put in "I'm going to win this" safety bids and neither expected to actually go that high. I'd check the bid history. If 5 people were slugging it out, then I'd say you missed something. But if just two, then it was just a p***ing match gone wrong. A neat helmet though!

There were 3 bidders fighting it out at the end, and there was a name in the NCO bar, but it was "Nick" and doesn't leave anything for an ID.

Nobody likes too hear it, and say its lame, But something is worth what some one will pay. I wont spend that much on a M1 helmet, too me that's crazy. But there seems too be a lot of people out there that want them, Helmets have become an addiction. Maybe we all need some therapy... B) I have had most of mine for many many moons. And none are what I'd call rare, but then that's another subject....too eye of the beholder

It's possible that it was a 1st Infantry Division, "Big Red One", helmet. The same seller previously sold an NCO liner at a low Buy It Now price. It was described to have had an emblem with a red-painted '1' on the front. The two likely came together, only to be separated by the seller. If one of the shell's bidders bought the liner, he would be heavily motivated to acquire the shell too - hence the high price.

A portion of the seller's description of the liner,

"HAS A WHITE RECTANGLE PAINTED ON HAT FOR NAME I ASSUME. SOMEONE DREW AN EMBLEM SHAPE ON FRONT AND PAINTED A RED 1 IN IT."

post-11015-0-22414300-1518537325.jpg

post-11015-0-18275900-1518537334.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Wow, sounds cool and the helmet looks good. But $1000+liner price is a big bet for not being able to see the front of the liner.

It looks like the buyer of the liner missed out on the helmet in the last seconds.

Ahh man that sucks

The stripes appear to be the same length , width and in the same position.

I really hope the owner of the liner and the helmet owner can sort something out

NCO bars are extremely hard to find, and I would even use the word rare. It's a classic helmet with good looking patina, its nice and I dont think the price is crazy for what it is.

Was the "symbol and red 1" shown in the liner auction?

No, but it's possible that some bidders asked to receive additional photos and knew something that others did not.