WW2 Commissioning Pennant

Evening Gents,

I have a few questions regarding the US Navy Commissioning Pennant. Moderators if this is in the wrong place please move to a more appropriate place. So my interest is to obtain a WW2 pennant that would have flown on an LCI (L) during the war. My father was on LCI (L) 950 they made the landing in the invasion of Southern France ( Operation Dragoon). After the war ended in Europe they were ordered to sail to Cold Harbor Alaska to trade their ship to the Soviet Navy For Project Hula. LCI (L) 950 became DS-32 when the soviets took over control. When the ship was decommissioned from the US Navy the commander chose to cut up the Commissioning Pennant and give a piece to each sailor including my dad. I am in possession of that piece, it has a Soviet Navy hat pin stuck in it my dad traded for a pack of Chesterfield cigarettes.

I have been looking for a Pennant on Ebay and my biggest question is were there different sizes depending on the ship size? I see lots of No. 7, and last question in WW2 were the stars stitched on or were there also

the style that look part of the fabric. I am watching Ebay # 202122044219 right now but am unsure if this is what fits the bill.

Thank you in advance for any help

Tom

I know next to nothing about commissioning pennants. But with that being said here's mine from a late WW2 ship. The stars are sewn on.

MVC-013S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

In the FWIW department..

In mid 1950, the Coast Guard started a test on the best material for use in the commission pennant and CG ensign. They were evaluating the traditional wool bunting, a nylon / wool material, and an all nylon material..

I would think the USN followed the same tests in that same time frame.. Would suspect that WW2 era / pre 1950sh commission pennants would be all wool bunting with sewn construction..

• 3 weeks later...

All nylon with printed stars have been in use since the early 1960s. Commission Pennants do come in different lengths, based on the length of the ship. Naval Tactical Publication (NTP-13) has a chart which tells what size flags and pennants are to be used on what length ship.

Sigs,

Thanks for wading in on this, I was hoping you would. If I Google (NTP-13) will I find what commission Pennant would have been flown above an LCI during WW2?

Thanks again Steve,

Tom

NTP-13 B (1986) shows two sizes for a commission pennant, Size 6 - 6 feet in length and Size 7 - 4 feet. Not sure if it is the same in WWII, don't have my copy with me.. It also says this about size use:

For uniformity, a vessel under 600 feet in length shall display a size 6

command pennant or a size 7 personal flag. Vessels 600 feet or more in length
shall display a size 4 command pennant or size 6 personal flag.

Don't know if this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not coming back. Yes, flag size is determined by length of vessel. So, to know what size flags, need to know length of ship.