Colonel eagles variant discussion

MattS

Here's a difference I'd like to learn more about. I understand that eagles face both left and right so that they will face forward when worn on the shoulder or collar, but that's not the difference I'm talking about. Of these 2 colonel's eagles, the left one is the more modern version with thicker wings and the right one is the older (what I call "pointy wing") version. Is there a collector's term for either of these? When did the 'modern' version eagle first appear? Thanks!

post-32676-0-99165400-1518370155_thumb.jpg

The mil spec sheets indicate that in 1976 there was a change of specs from those of 1974. That sheet, with illustrations is no longer posted. Looks like 74 -76 was the time frame..

Not the best photo, but it gives you an idea of just how many varieties of colonel insignia there are (and I certainly don't have them all!). They can be difficult to date by design. Maker, material made from, and pin back assembly type often provide a good clue.

Colonel eagles have always been one of my favorite things to find at flea markets and shows.

post-322-0-16790700-1518567797_thumb.jpg

Nice group photo! Yes, there have been many variations in style and even between makers over the years. What I was interested in is when the 50s/60s style clutch-back pointy wing eagle design changed into the one used currently, which is around 1975 according to MastersMate. This is of interest to me as I am currently restoring the uniform of a colonel who retired in 1973 and I wanted to make sure I had the correct eagles on the coat and overseas cap.

Found another mil-spec sheet concerning all metal rank insignia and dated Dec 1971.. Basically stated that fastenings would be the prong and clasp type.. The clasp could either be the squeeze type or the ball type jewelers fasteners. That spec sheet super-ceded one from 1964