Civil War Soldier Photo?

It is a CW era soldier, but it seems pretty suspicious... I think I've seen that image before. Is it possibly one of those copies on a tinplate?

Looks like they sold CDVs of him so maybe they made a tintype. Will know for sure here soon hopefully

What was the description used for selling?

Union Pvt. Francis E. Brownell shot the proprietor of the Marshal house in Alexandria Virginia after that man shot Elmer Ellsworth for pulling down a confederate flag. Ellsworth a friend of Lincoln was the first union officer killed in the war. This is a widely published and known image.

Capt.Confederacy

Definitely get a refund. I've seen a lot of these fake tintypes showing up at flea markets and antique stores in the last few months, but they usually are not in color and don't have a CW period frame/holder.

If you go to EBays Main Page (search all catagories) and enter Custer tintype a tin of him comes up for $12.99 . Open this sale , click on, see other items and you will find tintypes of everything from brothels to this image of Francis Brownel. To the sellers credit he list his tins as reproductions.

Lots of FAKE tintypes out there now. They are made on iron plates, so they pass the magnet test. Biggest indicator is the condition of back and the front. Colors also raise a red flag.

Most that I have seen lately have been published images with numerous weapons. Many are sold for what they are ($10 copy images), but some folks are putting them in a case and trying to get slick.

This particular image was made as a cdv, so any tintype version is bogus.

By the way, if you'd like an original cdv of Brownell (same pose) contact me as I have one for sale!

Scott