WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

teufelhunde.ret

Thank you Chuck, I couldn't relocate the posting on ebay but saw it myself last week. and was almost positive this was the same helmet. Seller clearly indicated the insignia was painted in the 1960's as I recall and the helmet was offered as an original shell with post war painted insignia, (way post war). I think that is important to note this as forum members use this thread as an important reference to authenticate helmets. Even without the sellers description most collectors familiar with original USMC WWI helmets would have pause with this one. The style and artwork just isn't like any other 3/5 helmet I have seen. Kevin

2/5 Kevin. I'll post pictures in the near future of the bogus 3/5 helmet discussed in another area of this forum.

Chuck

Of course you are right Chuck 2/5 yellow square not the blue square of the 3/5. That's what I get from rushing a post when getting ready for work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was hoping it was real, but only out 150 so insignia and helmet are worth that- also a good filler until I get a real one. thanks, Bill

• 1 month later...

I think that is important to note this as forum members use this thread as an important reference to authenticate helmets. Kevin

EXACTLY! :)

Cheers,

Cody

• 1 month later...

3/5 Marines, Brit. I believe this and the following helmet to have been rendered by the same hand.

Thanks for looking,

Cody

post-154171-0-39743800-1508989454_thumb.jpg

I agree Cody. Every WWI USMC painted helmet is unique, but this is one of the recognized 3/5 designs that was most likely painted by the same hand. Nice pair my friend.

S/F,

Chuck

Very nice Cody! The 3/5 is elusive. One of only two I need to complete my fifth and sixth Marine helmet collection. Gives me the "blues". Congrats and thanks for posting. Kevin

Thanks guys. As this stuff is most difficult to source, we are at fate's wanton whim to find these things, I am very fortunate to have what few things I have.

Thanks for the nice words, I'm trying to amass a decent, representative, WWI USMC helmet collection. Were it not for the considered mentoring of Charles (Chuck) Roelens I'd not be nowhere close. Thank you, Sir! Semper Fi!

Regards,

Cody

• 4 months later...

Mine was once owned by Dennis Jackson and is depicted in Equipping the Corps. Dennis previously posted it in this thread, see post 94.

• 9 months later...