WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

teufelhunde.ret

Wow,I saw this 2 days ago and people were just really starting to take out the wallets real quick for this. I know Marine Corp items usually bring in more money and everything,but there has to be a reason its up to that much...was the unit involved with something incredible or is it because of the paint and the detail? think.gif

The Composite Regiment was a parade formation of selected men from the Army of Occupation, so anything marked to them is rare. Add to that it's USMC, and add to that the level of detail and execution, and it's a pretty exceptional helmet.

It's a beautiful piece and appears to be righteous. Too bad there is no name attached to it. I suspect that this helmet was painted for the "veteran" as opposed to having been worn before his discharge. Probably in the 1920's. Just my 2-cents! Wish it was on my shelf!

Semper Fi....Bobgee

It's a beautiful piece and appears to be righteous. Too bad there is no name attached to it. I suspect that this helmet was painted for the "veteran" as opposed to having been worn before his discharge. Probably in the 1920's. Just my 2-cents! Wish it was on my shelf!

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Agree - and even for someone not into militaria, it is a marvelous piece of folk art.

There's a little more about this regiment in this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=28981

This is the 3rd USMC helmet that I have seen painted in this fashion. It is my belief that these were done in France by local artisians around the French debarkations areas for our returning Marines. My gut says most likely done at

Camp Pontanezen at Brest, France. The 13th Regiment, U.S. Marines had a very large contingent stationed at this and other camps throughout the war. The following images show one of the similarly painted helmets that belongs to a uniform group that I previously posted on the forum. Mr. Ernst was at Brest for a while with the 13th Regiment.

Company "E" of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment was an ALL Marine Company. This was ( I think ) the only Marine Co. of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment.

If you notice the painted helmets across the front row; they are all painted with a very large star with Indian Head. There is no Batallion flashes as seen on "standard" painted USMC helmets.

This is the only Marine Composite Reg. helmet I've seen.

Look at some of the guys in the Co. photo. - Recognize any???

post-3422-1228427728.jpg

post-3422-1228427783.jpg

post-3422-1228427808.jpg

Croix de Guerre
This is the 3rd USMC helmet that I have seen painted in this fashion. It is my belief that these were done in France by local artisians around the French debarkations areas for our returning Marines. My gut says most likely done at

Camp Pontanezen at Brest, France. The 13th Regiment, U.S. Marines had a very large contingent stationed at this and other camps throughout the war. The following images show one of the similarly painted helmets that belongs to a uniform group that I previously posted on the forum. Mr. Ernst was at Brest for a while with the 13th Regiment.

Company "E" of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment was an ALL Marine Company. This was ( I think ) the only Marine Co. of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment.

If you notice the painted helmets across the front row; they are all painted with a very large star with Indian Head. There is no Batallion flashes as seen on "standard" painted USMC helmets.

Look at some of the guys in the Co. photo. - Recognize any???

post-3422-1228427728.jpg

I used to date a great neice of his (or so she said, I didn't care at the moment ;) )! It's Lejeune there in the middle, I am right?

Dennis,

Do you think that the helmet would have been painted here in the States after all the parades and service for this Marine? Could this be a souvenir helmet that was made painted in France? The helmets in the yardlong photo appear to have just the 2nd Div star and no EGA. The photo was taken in Washington right after the final parade in DC. I don't think that a Marine could have gotten away with wearing this helmet unless all the helmets were painted in the same manner. Bobgee has a helmet from one of the Marines that looks like the ones in the photo. Dennis what type of patch did they wear? Was it just a star and no background like the helmet?

This is an amazing helmet.

The Composite Regiment was made of 5 companies, I assume that they were:

Company A, 1st Division

Company B, 2nd Division

Company C, 3rd Division

Company D, 4th Division

Company E, Marine Company

Enrique,

It is my opinion that these helmets were painted in France. The three that I have seen are too similar to be painted (or have painted) by the Marine in the 1920’s after they came home. I think that these were done by artists and souvenir sellers in the debarkation areas in the summer of 1919 for all the returning doughboys. Another possibility would be that they were painted shipboard, but these guys returned home at different times. - Maybe the same sailor on the same transport? - Unless these guys were neighbors back in the states they could not have seen each others artwork. However, one can’t rule out that they were painted at a 2nd Div. reunion, but I have never seen a non-Marine 2nd Div. helmet painted in this stylized manner, nor have I seen another Composite Regiment helmet from another division painted like this from any other division. I think this is strictly a Marine Corps helmet.

As you can see in the group photo, the helmets were smooth and somewhat “glossy” in appearance. They are all the same which causes me to believe that they were painted exclusively for Co. E.

I will get a better shot of the SSI to post. They are all the same in the image with background colors under the star. I’ll try to get that done today.

Again, this is only my ideas on these helmets. It’s like belly buttons however – we all have’em.

Best, Dennis

We beat that one up, huh?

• 1 month later...
Corpsmancollector

Some stunning pots here guys, I don't think i've seen such variety before! The camouflage ones are just beautiful. Great thread!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

These are all beautiful helmets. I wanted to share with you a photo that I just found in an old magazine. It was taken on the USS George Washington, in New York, as the 5th Marines were getting ready to disembark the ship. The reason I think that it is important is that it proves that MOST of the helmets were not painted in New York as was originally thought. MOST helmets had to have been painted in France prior to the 2nd Div leaving France or on the ships enroute to the states. The 3rd Compostie Regiment already had their helmets painted for both parades in London and Paris in July of 1919. The 2nd Div left France in August 1919 so I would guess that they would have painted their helmets prior to the 2nd Div departing France. The photo also shows that not all USMC helmets had the EGA attached to their helmets. I think that EGA's would have been hard to come by and the only way you could have had one on your helmet would have been if you had an extra one, or you would take the one off you p iss cover on and off as needed.

Their are other variations of helmets because I would think that all the 2nd Div members (mostly casualties) who left prior August 1919 would have seen the helmets painted in the parades or when the units were getting discharged and they would have surely wanted to have theirs painted in the same way. Different artists....different styles. Gentlemen let me know what you think.

post-2633-1240852806.jpg

Close up of one of the helmets....

post-2633-1240852867.jpg

Another closeup......notice the Chaplain.

post-2633-1240852935.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Enrique, your theory about the EGA use on the helmet and overseas cover certainly sounds plausible to me. s/f Darrell

• 1 month later...
USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Enrique, your theory about the EGA use on the helmet and overseas cover certainly sounds plausible to me. s/f Darrell

I am new to USMC WWI painted helmets. My area of expertise is the USMC WWI Scout Snipers and their rifles. I noticed that the shape of the background (diamond, circle, square) and its color seems to designate specific Battalions or units. Is there a list of the different identifications of same?

I am interested in the Intelligence Sections, of which the Scout Snipers were an integral part. The Scout Snipers ( they called themselves the SOS for "Scout Observer Sniper", which also was an acronym for Supply/Services) were all Marine Snipers were carried on the Muster Rolls as members of their original Companies, which no designation as to their assignment to Intelligence (normally). I have identified several hundred WWI Scout Snipers by name (most of the ones trained at the OSD and many of the combat Snipers with the 5th and 6th Regiments), and in some instances, I even have their pictures.

My second question is did the Intelligence Sections have their own identifying helmet insignia? I have a USMC helmet with just a red diamond on the front - no EGA. What Battalion would that signify?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was directed to this fantastic forum by a friend, and I have been amazed at the stuff you guys own. I am very envious, and can see dollars flying away.

Incidentally, if you have a named helmet, I can crosscheck it against my list of snipers, gratis. Please contact me directly by email - [email protected] - to avoid taking up forum space for this service. There was a large number of Scout Snipers with the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments, and I do not have all their names - yet.

I am looking for stuff that belonged to a specific WWI Sniper with the 6th Marines - Corporal Fred S. Truitt (I have his very unique rifle). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Tarleton

Old Marine

Jim;

Hope this helps some. The attached picture is the 4th Brigade info:

post-4767-1245465036.jpg

And this is the 5th Reg.

they never saw action.

post-4767-1245465154.jpg

Jon B

Newaygo MI

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle

Thanks, Jon. That sure helped. Now it all makes more sense. I have very many photos of the 5th and 6th in combat or areas of resistance, and I had never seen one of these ensignia on one of their helmets before. Maybe I just didn't notice.

Thanks again for the help. I do appreciate it.

Jim

...most likely done at Camp Pontanezen at Brest, France. The 13th Regiment, U.S. Marines had a very large contingent stationed at this and other camps throughout the war. ...Company "E" of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment was an ALL Marine Company. This was ( I think ) the only Marine Co. of the 3rd Army Composite Regiment. ...If you notice the painted helmets across the front row; they are all painted with a very large star with Indian Head. There is no Batallion flashes as seen on "standard" painted USMC helmets.

...post-3422-1228427728.jpg

Belleauwood;

Could you tell me more about the 3rd Army Composite Regiment? I'd like to learn more. Also on ebay there is another one of these helmets up for sale.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320384510931 it ends in a couple hours.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

normaninvasion

I wanted to share my recent addition to my collection: 1st Batt. 5th Marines. This is my biggest purchase and prize of my collection. Ega seems to be a later addition, however in my opinion the punched hole is period. Hope you enjoy ;)

post-4253-1245868550.jpg

post-4253-1245868604.jpg

post-4253-1245868654.jpg

post-4253-1245868690.jpg

Here is mine :

It belonged to Arthur L. Winney a USN Corpsman of 2nd Bat/ 5th Marines.

Winney was wounded and cited for Blanc Mont Battle Octobre 3 -10, 1918.

This helmet is a part of the entire grouping I own.

317dxqe.jpg

359e69j.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
I wanted to share my recent addition to my collection: 1st Batt. 5th Marines. This is my biggest purchase and prize of my collection. Ega seems to be a later addition, however in my opinion the punched hole is period. Hope you enjoy ;)

helmet_001.JPG

A beauty!!!

• 3 weeks later...
williamsmilitaryrelics

Hi everyone,

just got this helmet yesterday from one of my "picker" guy, well I did washed a little with water and soap since it was covered with some kind of greasy dust

the color look much more bright now.

I guess this kind of helmet has never been worn, but used more as decoration or commemoration helmet...

inside in perfect condition

post-6240-1247623180.jpg

post-6240-1247623228.jpg

post-6240-1247623372.jpg