WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

teufelhunde.ret

For those who did not see, there was another 8th Co. helmet on eBay just a couple weeks ago.

Turns out I was able to positively ID this one with the help of Kevin (Devildog34).

• 2 weeks later...

I had this is a previous section but it really belongs here. I believe it belonged to Harold A Laidlaw 2/5.

-Paul

post-162927-0-24763300-1467140812.jpg

post-162927-0-85010700-1467140865.jpg

It is very possible the owner is listed here: Harold A Laidlaw. He is the only one with initials that would work.

post-162927-0-83559200-1467141002.png

I think a son or grandson painted the Odell names on the inside of the helmets. When I first saw the name and "WWI", I thought it was cheesy, until I saw the son's name in the second helmet.

Eric Queen

Here is one of my favorites. My dad picked this up 40 years ago. For some reason 3/5 seems to be one of the hardest helmets to find. Much harder than 8/5 (which, to me, does not make any sense)

BQ2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those who did not see, there was another 8th Co. helmet on eBay just a couple weeks ago.

Where did you find it? I search for WWI painted and USMC stuff, totally missed this one.

Cheers,

Cody

I had this is a previous section but it really belongs here. I believe it belonged to Harold A Laidlaw 2/5.

-Paul

Kew-el.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add my newest acquisition (I am also playing with photos, everything changed since geting a new computer). I obtained this from a forum member with many thanks to him. I dont believe it has been posted here, although a few other examples by this same hand have been. Apparently a Craigs list find several years ago out of the Chicago area. I liove this artist on these 2/5 helmets. Kevin

post-21606-0-90991300-1474123535_thumb.jpg

post-21606-0-45500600-1474123549_thumb.jpg

The other thing I notice when I look at your photo Kevin is the other two helmets. 1/5 and 8/5. Including this 2/5 and 2/6 you have it seems you are very selective and sticking for the most part with (painting) KNOWN types. To me this is a very smart approach. To my knowledge there is no known type 1/6 helmet but yours is probably the best I have ever seen and, I am bias, but has provenance beyond approach.

Thank you again Eric, the 1/6 was my first and is special because of its "provenance". Anywhere it may go the paper trail will accompany it describing where it came from. Thanks for your nice compliments as well. On some of these I might have paid premium, but like you said, I am trying to look for the one lookers, those that appear to have ben done by the same hand as others that are named, in groupings or with great provenance. Thank you again, your collection is one to try to model after.

Thanks to you too Dirk, coming from you guys, these compliments mean a lot. Kevin

Thanks Paul, yours is one of the others like it I had in mind. There is another named one by the same artist depicted in the book Equipping the Corps. I have seen one or two other as well in other collections. When I saw yours, I was pretty green with envy. This guy was one of the better artists of these helmets IMO.