WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

teufelhunde.ret

Belleauwood
All I can say is thank you so much for sharing..............made my day thumbsup.gif

Many Thanks,

I have had several "experts" tell me the 13th Reg. is "a little suspect" until the see the period photographs of Mr.Ernst wearing it! I have his yardlongs and his Good Conduct, VM and his sharpshooter badge as well as a few other of his items.

Belleauwood

This one came out of the estate - The gentle who got the trunks full of his uniforms and medals did not get this! Not his fault, it wasn't with the trunks!

Gallivan was a double SS recepient, PH, ect. winner to boot.

post-3422-1215598079.jpg

post-3422-1215598170.jpg

post-3422-1215598244.jpg

I have been asked several times to post some of my USMC Battalion painted helmets here on the forum. There is some reluctance on my part because these helmets always tend to be picked apart by the experts. For the most part, these helmets came with Id'ed uniform groups with some pretty heavy provenance. I have had my share of getting burned on painted helmets in the past and will probably get burned again in the future. Some of you have seen some of my Camo/Divisional/Trench Arted helmets that I have sold over the E-Bay venue for the past few years. I sold over two hundred of these great helmets. I feel pretty confident about how these helmets should look, feel and smell like at this point.

While I'm truly a novice in the Marine Corps collecting field, I have been fortunate to have seen a lot of artifacts that came directly from the veterans themselves or thier families. Some of those I now own. Others I have gotten from very knowledgeable collectors (right Mike?) that one can trust. All of the following helmets can be traced almost to the source (the vet). Any critique or criticisms are certainly welcome. I hope you enjoy tis post!!

Dennis Jackson

post-3422-1217782218.jpg

post-3422-1217782278.jpg

post-3422-1217782315.jpg

post-3422-1217782348.jpg

post-3422-1217782378.jpg

post-3422-1217782413.jpg

post-3422-1217782448.jpg

post-3422-1217782474.jpg

post-3422-1217782503.jpg

post-3422-1217782528.jpg

post-3422-1217782564.jpg

post-3422-1217782599.jpg

post-3422-1217782635.jpg

This helmet was treated to a coat of gold paint for the parades he participated in later in life.

I have all this guys stuff. 4 overseas stripes on his uniform! - One of the originals!!!

post-3422-1217782772.jpg

Belleauwood
elaborate paint job. can you tell us any more about this one?

Sorry for the slow reply. Got a little too jacked up and had the posting frenzy and forgot where they all were. This helmet was a direct veteran pick-up. It was given to Emil S. by the veteran in the 70's. I purchased it at the MAX Show several years ago from a dealer for a very healthy price! When the money exchanged hands, a distingushed looking gentleman, with a great smile on his face, told me he would have never paid that kind of a price. Turned out he was Mr. E.S. He had been given the helmet from a fellow Marine who was in the 5th Brigade, 11th Regiment and had not seen the helmet in many years after selling it to the dealer for a lot less money. The playing cards reflect the No. 11 by the Ace and Face Card for the 11th Regiment. The 5th Brigade insignia is painted on the crown of the helmet and has the vets initials painted on the brim. The helmet exhibits much wear to the paint but I thought this was certainily unique enough and had to have it. I felt a lot better after talking to E.S............................

We have been friends since,

Fun Stuff - Dennis

Belleauwood
...and where are they now?... devil.gif

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

I see you have one of my old helmets - The only reason it left is I found a less tastefully done 3/6 but it was a "helmet group" that included his diary, medals, photos etc. I owned several of the 5 Brig. shown in the photos as well. Loved them all!--

Best, Dennis

usmcaviator

Dennis,

I would add some of my helmets to your jaw dropping display, but I think you own damn near all of them!! Good show my man!!

Semper Fi,

Mike

Belleauwood
Dennis,

I would add some of my helmets to your jaw dropping display, but I think you own damn near all of them!! Good show my man!!

Semper Fi,

Mike

Mike, Coming from your it means a lot!! I really love these old helmets and try to get them whenever I can. I had to put an EGA on the one I got from you. The punched hole needed to be filled! All the best and thanks again. - By the way, any opinions or critique you may have on any of these postings is appreciated. I've got a lot to learn -

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
Belleauwood

post-3422-1217782821.jpg

4th Brigade Headquarters

Must have been some brittle steel. The helmet has cracked where it shows signs of being struck but not penetrated.

Rivit for bail has been field replaced as well.

post-3422-1217782969.jpg

post-3422-1217782999.jpg

post-3422-1217783026.jpg

post-3422-1217783052.jpg

post-3422-1217783079.jpg

post-3422-1217783112.jpg

post-3422-1217783217.jpg

post-3422-1217783267.jpg

post-3422-1217783328.jpg

6th Machine Gun Battalion

post-3422-1217783390.jpg

post-3422-1217783425.jpg

Differences between Black and Purple Paint.

MOST purple paint on helmets that I know are real really have daekened over time.

NOT to say or imply that brighter paint is not original. Just my observation.

Schnicklfritz

Wow! What great helmets you have! I love those 1/5 helmets. I've heard the old collectorism is that the red was suppose to have been rubbed down to make the Marine less of a target, but after seeing them up close, I believe that the red paint was just applied too thin.

Thanks for posting those helmets and your other great items. Looking forward to seeing more!

Semper Fi!

teufelhunde.ret
This helmet was treated to a coat of gold paint for the parades he participated in later in life. I have all this guys stuff. 4 overseas stripes on his uniform! - One of the originals!!!

Dennis, these painted helmets w/ mounted EGA's are just simply drop dead beautiful. If and when you have the oportunity, would you be kind enought to provided us with a stright-on picture of the EGA mounted to this helmet... would like to see the wing configuration of the EGA. I sense from your comment, this helmet & group came directly from vet's family? And thanks again for all your sharing with us! s/f Darrell

post_3422_1217782772.jpg

Belleauwood
Dennis, these painted helmets w/ mounted EGA's are just simply drop dead beautiful. If and when you have the oportunity, would you be kind enought to provided us with a stright-on picture of the EGA mounted to this helmet... would like to see the wing configuration of the EGA. I sense from your comment, this helmet & group came directly from vet's family? And thanks again for all your sharing with us! s/f Darrell

Darrell, I'll get you a photo on this EGA. It is an early 20's EGA , I think. The helmet is correct with the punched hole and my gut feeling is that he applied a later EGA after he painted the helmet gold for veterans parades. I got this group from the daughter-in-law that was sold to me with the help of the grandson. At some point, I'll post the complete group. This guy was a proud Marine as some of the notes that he sent home to his mother would indicate. He expressed disappointment that the 2nd Battalion wore a yellow background. He stated in a note to his mother that no Marine would ever wear yellow on his uniform. He wore an orange 5th Battalion patch on his Army issued tunic. I'm sure that orders dictated that they be switched to yellow in spite of the objections of individual Marines. I have had the priviledge to see 3 other 2nd Battalion groups that are 1000% real and hugely documented with "orange" patches. We'll never have all the answers, but sure is fun trying to find'em!!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a few pics...1/5th Marines

Very Nice! I like all the helmets on this thread. I so want to post a helmet on here but, alas, every WWI lid I have(and I've got a lot of them), are all Army. I just can't seem to lay my hands on a nice Marine helmet. So, congrats to all of you who have one of these gems!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
FightenIrish35

Wow,I saw this 2 days ago and people were just really starting to take out the wallets real quick for this. I know Marine Corp items usually bring in more money and everything,but there has to be a reason its up to that much...was the unit involved with something incredible or is it because of the paint and the detail? think.gif