WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

teufelhunde.ret

Leatherneck72

That indeed is an Indain chief on the top representing 2nd Div. I owned a very similar one years ago, except mine wasn't punched for the EGA. The 5th and 6th Marines helmets that were more conservative, i.e., a emblem painted that resembled the patch, were the ones worn in the victory parades in 1919. This helmet here was probably done as a 2nd Division reunion item. I think they are way out there at 3,000. They would have been better off at leaving it at 9.99, and letting it go from there.

Schnicklfritz

There is a similar helmet in one of Chris Arnold's books, "Steel Pots". As to $3000.00... :huh: I'll refrain from the normal negative banter about this stuff... or at least try to.

July1, 1916-HLI17SB

Saw this helmet on Ebay...looks to be painted by the same soldier. Thought you might want to see it.

Shannon

post-2792-1213754304.jpg

July1, 1916-HLI17SB

Let's try this again.....same soldier painter as Post #5 in the chain. Seen on Ebay.

post-2792-1213754508.jpg

Hmmmm...................I think so too! Maybe we'll see more about this IndianHead lid here on the Forum shortly?

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Let's try this again.....same soldier painter as Post #5 in the chain. Seen on Ebay.

jeremiahcable
Hmmmm...................I think so too! Maybe we'll see more about this IndianHead lid here on the Forum shortly?

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Hmmm....... think.gif Maybe...... whistling.gif

Bob,

I am no expert but even I can tell when my kids try to color the same drawing using the same crayolas. That helmet definetely was painted by the same guy who painted your helmet from the 2nd Division Honor Guard. Same colors, same strokes........sound like an art freak. w00t.gif

And this fellow's name on the inside of the brim and on the chinstrap.

U.S. Marine Corps Muster Rolls, 1798-1940

about Joseph H Jamme

Name: Joseph H Jamme

Muster Date: Aug 1918

Enlistment Date: 11 May 1917

Station: Company "K", 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment,

And his Citation Star/Silver Star records says:

Jamme, Joseph H. Pharmacist's Mate Third Class: For gallantry in action while serving as a Medical Corpsman with the 5th Marines, 2d Division, A.E.F., on June 1918 at Chateau-Thierry, France

jeremiahcable

Thanks for that bit of information on Jamme. If anyone can find his USN service number or AEF number I'd love them until the end of the world.

Any way that you could look up his DOB/DOD and home town Bob?

jeremiahcable

If the same soldier or marine didn't paint them then the artist was certainly going off of the same reference with what looks to be the same batch of paints.

Thanks for that bit of information on Jamme. If anyone can find his USN service number or AEF number I'd love them until the end of the world.

Any way that you could look up his DOB/DOD and home town Bob?

The helmets are great, but being able to flesh out the man who wore them is what really makes them true historical artifacts:

Joseph Henry Jamme, SN 303727

jamme1.jpg

It looks like he went on to a career in the merchant marine.

1900 United States Federal Census

about Joseph H Jamme

Name: Joseph H Jamme

Home in 1900: Minneapolis Ward 3, Hennepin, Minnesota

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895

Birthplace: Minnesota

Relationship to head-of-house: Son

Father's Name: Joseph R

Mother's Name: Eugenie

Race: White

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members:

Name Age

Joseph R Jamme 41

Eugenie Jamme 38

Joseph Jamme 17

George T Jamme 16

Lillian C Jamme 15

Edward Jamme 12

Louis Jamme 10

Annie Jamme 8

Joseph H Jamme 5

Dillon E Jamme 3

If the same soldier or marine didn't paint them then the artist was certainly going off of the same reference with what looks to be the same batch of paints.

UhHuh! But I'll vote for the same artist.

Semper Fi! Bobgee

jeremiahcable

Good stuff Bob, thanks! I checked the SSDI on rootsweb.com and found Joseph Jamme, born 26 June, 1895 and died Jan, 1965 in Spokane, Washington. Looks like it could be the same fellow. Now to try and ping the national archives for his file.

Leatherneck72

I own about 30 real painted helmets, and I don't like the looks of this one. The paint looks fluorescent..

I own about 30 real painted helmets, and I don't like the looks of this one. The paint looks fluorescent..

Brian - which helmet are you referring to? By Post #.?

Bobgee

jeremiahcable
Brian - which helmet are you referring to? By Post #.?

Bobgee

I am sure Brian is referring to the newest one, from eBay.

That indeed is an Indain chief on the top representing 2nd Div. I owned a very similar one years ago, except mine wasn't punched for the EGA. The 5th and 6th Marines helmets that were more conservative, i.e., a emblem painted that resembled the patch, were the ones worn in the victory parades in 1919. This helmet here was probably done as a 2nd Division reunion item. I think they are way out there at 3,000. They would have been better off at leaving it at 9.99, and letting it go from there.

I agree. I think it would have been bid up a lot higher than the $800 they sold it for.

Schnicklfritz

Here are a couple of old pics of a very sweet M17 tortoise shell camo with Marine EGA attached. Named to the Marine on the chinstrap.

post-115-1213987040.jpg

other side view

post-115-1213987071.jpg

top view. The pics aren't the greatest. In hand, you can see the proper wear and age to the paint. I've seen one other like this except the EGA was painted on. I need to do some research on the name, but I believe these types of camo helmets could originate with Marines associated with the POW guard companies in the AEF more than Marines in the 5th and 6th Regiments.

post-115-1213987252.jpg

Schnicklfritz

This helmet has a painted on EGA on one side with a Gunner's bomb on the other. It was a direct veteran buy by Wolfe Hardin back in the 60's that ended up in the hands of the colletor I bought it from through Larry Stone. My feeling is that the helmet is more of a post WW1 reunion piece other than something painted in the AEF or for Homecoming Parades.

post-115-1213987329.jpg

EGA side

post-115-1213987356.jpg

Gunner's bomb insignia

post-115-1213987388.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Well, I wasn't going to throw this in, but here is another USMC camo helmet. It doesn't have an EGA, but is named on the inside rim of the helmet to a Marine. It is a ship grey painted helmet with a sort of a rope pattern camo on the outside.

post-115-1213987542.jpg

other side view

post-115-1213987578.jpg

top view

post-115-1213987604.jpg

.. and named on the rim inside.... opps, the pic is too big to upload. Sorry! But it is named to Sgt. CC Cramer and dated 25 July 1918.

• 2 weeks later...
Belleauwood

I've been asked to post a few photos of some of my USMC helmets - Here's a couple

post-3422-1215551851.jpg

post-3422-1215552149.jpg

post-3422-1215552241.jpg

Just a few photos of some of my helmets

post-3422-1215553206.jpg

post-3422-1215553305.jpg

Another

post-3422-1215553742.jpg

post-3422-1215554139.jpg

post-3422-1215554480.jpg

post-3422-1215565765.jpg

post-3422-1215565814.jpgg