WW2 Military Intelligence Radio Intercept Operator South America

manayunkman

Here is a picture of a group that is teetering between price and semi mentalism I mean sentimentalism.

I was thinking of injecting 200 to see if it helps.

Would that be fair?

post-51189-0-93747400-1518122859_thumb.jpg

His son says that his dad never taked about it.

His dad had a chunk of his calf missing but it wasn't until a couple of years before the father died that he explained how it happened.

The father was in Argentina "someplace he wasn't supposed to be and doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing" and was shot escaping and evading the authorities.

He hardly ever wore a uniform while in South America.

This story is somewhat backed up by facts.

Here is a document stating he was in Military Inlelligence for almost a year and a half.

It is hand signed by Major General Clayton Bissell arch enemy of Clair Chenault and WW1 fighter Ace with 6 victories.

post-51189-0-97098700-1518136861_thumb.jpg

Here on his Separation paper, that has more misspellings in one sentence than one can imagine, you can see that he went to Vint Hill Farms VA and studied counterespionage amongst other things.

Vint Hill eventually became NSA headquarters.

post-51189-0-60743600-1518145386_thumb.jpg

The son told me that his dad had been recruited, right after he finished high school, by the government and was in before the war started.

Here are a couple of plane tickets Rio, Santiago and a ticket for another man who used his rank on the ticket.

For some reason the subject of this thread did not.

post-51189-0-15528100-1518206590_thumb.jpg

The son thinks his dad was a spy and that he had been to more countries in South America than mentioned on his papers.

There is also a difference between the dates on his separation and when he finished his work for Military Intelligence.

This is a fascinating story! It is still a common circumstance for active duty/ former active duty to have positions with Defense Intelligence on a "part time" or detached duty status. There are layers of deception involved and I'm sure the practice really took off before, during, and after WWII. My wife's grandfather, who was a West Point grad , was active in training the Chinese Air Force pilots before WWII , but had to resign his commission in our Army when he took the job in China. I had an uncle who was in Office of Naval Intelligence service in the 1950's and met another Army uncle, who was supposed to be stationed in Greece, on a training mission in Egypt! There is so much unknown / untold history in these people and their artifacts- I really wonder if there is any way their stories will ever be told! Incidentally, my Navy uncle died fairly recently and it was quite a challenge to find any record of his service, but he finally was allowed to be buried in a National Cemetery! These artifacts represent the bigger sacrifice that many of the clandestine operators have to make!

Tennessee thank you for your spot on insight.

The son told me that the 2 or 3 times in his life that he ever heard his dad talk about the war it was for less than 2 minutes.

But he did talk about places he had visited as a tourist would do.

He would talk about beautiful things he saw.

Something else that's odd is that he has 1944 plane tickets to Rio and, according to his son, spent some time there but

There is no mention of it on his separation paper.