MAROON BERET FRENCH-MADE W/ METAL BADGE- ID PLEASE

INIMICUS

it's with a us army ranger /vn officer's stuff. I think he was an advisor and for a time was in thailand.

I can't find the 'wreathed dagger' badge. royal thai para? thanks a lot

2nd pic coming in a minute

post-496-0-70331000-1518022280.jpg

thanks again doyler btw I erred when speaking on the related the other (M1 jacket) thread on the other forum - the flags in the grouping are lao; so I'll assume he advised lao army. probably forget thailand for now barring info here from one of our wonks!

thanks much, mod.

so, likely the us army ranger would wear this while advising lao army troops? what's the period - like '64-'65? and to what extent did rangers and us special forces work alongside cia persons, (i.e. 'uniforms without insignia') in the advising role in laos?

Lots of advisors worked with Foriegn troops.No different than those who were advisors who worked with ARVN Airborne, SF, Navy etc.They ofoften wore that units insignias, uniforms etc.

The Ranger tab doesn't mean he was in a Ranger unit or advised a Ranger unit...again it was a qualification course he attended and graduated from.Not everyone who went through the course served in Ranger units or later the battalions.

Very possible he may have been an early advisor but the emblem was used until 1975.If you had records of him it may tell you when he was there or may not.Since we weren't suppose to really be in Laos maybe he would be listed as MAAG member or?...Many were there with or under various US Aid programs.

so the para-wing logo in the beret is just a 'cool' generic design of the maker - nothing to do with airborne? by the way, these badges (originals anyhow) seem very hard to find. are they rare? cheers!

I would agree the emblem is the makers mark in the beret.

Lots of things in South East Asia were sourced from other countries for their military forces and had a French influence or manufacture due the the French being there for years.No different than many central America and other countries that copy or get things from the US for their units.

Cant comment on the items rareity or value.Im sure they are not common but as they say more than one was made.....

Many Royal Lao Army troops and Royal Lao Air Force personnel were trained in Thailand, especially near Udorn RTAFB and Lopburi during the Vietnam War. Air America's main base was at Udorn RTAFB and possibly they provided airlift of paratroop support. I hope this little bit of information might be of use.