14th Engineers - George Francis Sullivan

TCT222

Hello I am researching the founders of my local American Legion Post (Guilford, CT) for their upcoming 100th anniversary next year. I am a genealogist, but not a military historian. One of the men, George F. Sullivan, enlisted in New Haven, CT 12 Jun 1917, Co. E. 14th Engineers and served until discharge. He was promoted Private 1st class 11 July 1917, Corporal 1 Aug 1917, Sgt. 30 May 1918, and 1st Sgt 9 Oct 1918. AEF 27 Jul 1917 to 27 Apr 1919. Discharged 2 May 1919. The NARA does not have records on him (destroyed by fire). He did not fill out the 1919-1920 CT Military Questionnaire, which would have provided many details regarding his service. I would like to be able to add information regarding what the 14th Engineers did - what jobs did they perform? Where were they stationed? Any other information - where were they trained (in the states), what ships they went over on and came back on. Any battles, etc. My email is [email protected]. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The men currently in the American Legion, for whom I'm compiling this information (as well as for the town) would love to hear more about the experiences of these men. I have information on the 21 other founders, but this one is missing these important details. Thank you !

Welcome to the forum. I've found some information that suggests the 14th Engineer Regiment were narrow gauge railroad engineers.

Thank you. I've found some info online as to what that means - During World War One the allies needed to construct railways throughout France to help move men and supplies. The quickest method available was to construct a network of two foot (60cm) narrow gauge lines.

I've been piecing together some more details based on other men who were in the same company....The 14th Engineers trained at Rockingham Park, Salem, New Hampshire, June 28 - July 25, 1917. Rockingham Park, built 1906, proclaimed the finest horse racecourse in the world at that time, served the American war effort as a bivouac campsite for these soldiers before they sailed to France. Attached to the American Expeditionary Forces, they departed July 27, 1917, onboard the RMS Adriadic, which arrived in Liverpool, England, August 12, 1917. From Southampton, England, the regiment proceeded to Boulogne, France, arriving August 17 or 18, 1917. Here they trained at Camp St. Martin until August 22, 1917. I have to finish more here. The 14th Engineers departed Bordeaux, France, onboard the USS Dakotan, which arrived in Boston, Massachusetts, April 27, 1919. The men were discharged May 2, 1919, Camp Devens, Ayers, Massachusetts.

If anyone else has any additional information as to any engagements Co. E. may have been in, or anything more specific about their time in France, please let me know. Thank so much.

14th got credit for somme offensive 21 March 6 April 1917 Aisne-Marne offensive 2 Aug 6 Aug 18 Oise-Aisne offensive 18 Aug 10 Sept. 18, ana the Meuse-Argonne 26 Set. to Nov. 11th 1918

yes, I saw this too:

Arras-Bapaume sector, August 21, 1917 – March 20, 1918, April 7, 1918 – May 20, 1918

Somme defensive, March 21, 1918 – April 6, 1918

Ainse-Marne sector, August 7, 1918 – August 17, 1918

Oise-Ainse offensive, August 18, 1918 – September 10, 1918

Meuse-Argonne offensive, September 26, 1918 – November 11, 1918

Thank you.