National Infantry Museum (Benning)

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

Quick questions/comment. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED VISITING THIS MUSEUM TODAY.

However, the book/gift store was very lacking. Idk if that was normal or they were going through a change. With how much I loved the museum I was hoping to take home a souvenir book or poster to remember by visit. Does anyone know where I could purchase something like this?

Thanks.

The last time I went there (the first time in the new location, when visiting my parents in Tallahassee), the entire WW2 street was fenced off and only open for guided tours, which weren't going that day due to the weather.

I'm still seething over that, as that's the reason why I went so far...

I visited the new museum in 2012(or late 2011) for the Tactics Certification Course prior to my deployment. The museum was not totally open at that time. The WW II company area was and I really enjoyed it. I don't recall it being a total "guided tour" but in the barracks, there was a guide. They had dozens of M-1 rifles in the racks in the center of the barracks, loved that except that they were all welded up! I think he said the army got them from the CMP! My family was able to go and we went to Andersonville also, really a great place to see history! My first "visit" to Benning was in January of 1987 for Basic Training and AIT. I was able to visit the museum there at that time when we were going through some medical stuff and the DI's said we could go to the museum while we were waiting for everyone to finish. Somehow, (Thank-You Jesus!) I was one of the first done and got to visit the museum, I think it was in the old hospital building then. That is probably one of my best memories of my basic training! Second best memory would be when I got mail from a 3rd Infantry Division WW II veteran friend who had also trained at Benning during WW II! He mentioned a little train engine that took them around the base and I had seen that engine at the museum. Now, I don't recall if I actually sent him a letter back, I hope I did! When I was in Afghanistan (2012-2013), an other WW II veteran friend of mine sent me letters talking about when he served in the AAF in Guam with a B-29 Bomb Group. I know I sent him letters back (for FREE as a deployed soldier). Both of these WW II vets are gone now. Back to the OP question, they might sell things on line if you look. I bought my daughter and me t-shirts that say, "Infidel" in Arabic. I did not take it with me on my deployment!

BKW