USMC MEDALS HELP

u.s.martin

Hello collectors. I have decided to make a change in my collecting habits so I am new to collecting USMC medals. I was wondering if any of these medals posted below are original. I am aware that LIGI is a Vietnam era manufacturer however I am not sure about the good conduct medal. It is numbered however but no name is engraved. Please let me know what you think. Regards Martin.

Also since this is the appropriate thread to discuss this unrelated question I wanted to ask is it possible to find an all original USMC brevet if I were to offer an price of $25,000 for one. I understand they are all accounted for in families or museums however is there a chance one can be found and has one ever tried to find one?

post-175860-0-99234600-1517883342_thumb.jpg

post-175860-0-30472400-1517883377_thumb.jpg

post-175860-0-14266500-1517883389.jpg

Your numbered USMC GCM was probably awarded to a WW1 Marine. The other is current.

I doubt that you could acquire a real Brevet medal unless you convinced the family to let you pay the equivalent of the current market price of their home and a vacation spa in the Bahamas. :D

Good luck with your new interest. It will be rewarding especially when you get engraved pieces or attributed groups that you can research.

I think offering any sum to a museum or family honoring it would reinforce the public distaste for collectors. No need to 'try to find' one, all originals have been found.

1940s-50s slot broach official replacements appear occasionally and bring thousands. That would be your best (and probably only) bet on the brevet

I think offering any sum to a museum or family honoring it would reinforce the public distaste for collectors.

Yessir...and we need more public distaste to fuel more anti-collector legislation.

Hi all. Thank you for the inquires. I guess the Brevet medal is out of my wants list due to rarity and I rather keep quiet than to make an offer to a family for their medals. Martin.

Brian Dentino

Martin, I agree with everyones comments here on the Brevet....if you want to spend a few thousand $ on a nice older replacement that is up to you, or you could use that to get a few other USMC originals that are going to set you back that much or more. Good luck, but most of all have fun and enjoy your collection as it grows.