WW2 & Korean/Vietnam Poncho's..

kphfun

Here are two cool items I got today. The fist is a 42 dated USMC poncho in nice condition. The second is a Korean War/ Vietnam used poncho in almost mint condition, And the fun continues.

post-3273-1226818667.jpg

Greg Robinson

Congrats....you got two very nice ponchos there. The early dated USMC camo ones are hard to find. thumbsup.gif

During the Korean War, the Army and Marines both adopted the "lightweight OD Poncho, w/hood". Marines bought them from the Army at first. I own one with Spring '51 dated inkstamped marking that I found rolled up and attached to a WW2 vintage Marine haversack. And then in 1952 the Marines contracted for one of their own OD ponchos....looks just like the Army version but with different markings.

post-4-1226837958.jpg

Thanks for the info Greg, so mabey both of these were used by the USMC? I got them for 100.00 which I think is a good price as I plan on selling the camo one. ;)

Greg Robinson
Thanks for the info Greg, so mabey both of these were used by the USMC? I got them for 100.00 which I think is a good price as I plan on selling the camo one. ;)

The OD poncho with hood _might_ have been used by a Marine since they did use those. But without Marine provenance it's a safer bet to call it a Korean War Army poncho. I only call the one I have that looks like yours "USMC" because it was strapped to a WW2 haversack and was found that way at an estate sale.

GREAT deal. The OD Poncho isn't worth a lot but those early date USMC camo ponchos are very hard to find. You should do well selling that one. First contract was September 1942 and any of them '42 or '43 dated usually sell for a premium.

• 1 year later...