Tiffany Cross Research Update

emccomas

Hi all;

I am continuing my Tiffany Cross research efforts, and still anticipating an article for the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America.

We have identified 22 likely recipients of the Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor.

To that end, I have devised the following classifications for below listed Tiffany Cross recipients and confirmation of the same:

These classifications and recipients I label as 100% confirmation of receipt of the Tiffany Cross:

I. Picture of the reverse of the Tiffany Cross, clearly identifying the name of the recipient = 11 recipients

II. Picture of the recipient wearing the Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor = 4 recipients

1. Bennett, Floyd - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

2. Boone, Joel - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

3. Byrd, Richard - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

4. Cukela, Louis - picture of recipient wearing Tiffany Cross (II)

5. Izak, Eduardo - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

6. Janson, Ernest - picture of recipient wearing Tiffany Cross (II)

7. Kelly, John J. - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

8. Lyle, Alexander - picture of recipient wearing Tiffany Cross (II)

9. Madison, James J. - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

10. Petty, Orlando - picture of recipient wearing Tiffany Cross (II)

11. Pruitt, John - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

12. Robinson, Robert - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

13. Schilt, Christian F. - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

14. Siegel, John Otto - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

15. Talbot, Ralph - picture of reverse showing engraved name (I)

These classifications and recipients I label as 99% confirmation of receipt of the Tiffany Cross:

III. Tiffany Cross on display and clearly attributed to the recipient (reverse not shown)

16. Balch, John - medals on display at Navy Hospital Corpsman Hall of Honor, Walter Reed (formerly Bethesda) Hospital

17. Hayden, David - medals on display at Legion of Valor Museum, Fresno, CA

18. Sullivan, Daniel - medals attributed to Sullivan on display (location?)

These classifications and recipients I label as 75% confirmation of receipt of the Tiffany Cross:

IV. Tiffany Cross previously seen identified by forum member as attributed to recipient

19. Kocak, Matej - seen by forum member while on display at US Naval Academy

These classification and recipients I label as 65% confirmation of receipt of the Tiffany Cross:

V. Navy MOH recipient identified in newspaper article with other recipients know to have received the TC on that date.

20. Hammann, Charles - assumed TC recipient based on 11/11/1920 newspaper

21. Ingram, Osmond - assumed TC recipient based on 11/11/1920 newspaper

These classification and recipients I labeled as 55% confirmation of receipt of the Tiffany Cross:

VI. Navy MOH recipient with Tiffany Cross image on their headstone

22. Osborne, Weedon - Headstone at burial site has image of TC engraved in the stone

If anyone can provides any additional information on any of these recipients, please let me know so I can update my database.

emccomas,

I cannot take credit for this photo. I swear I got this picture from this forum, but I can't locate it now.

It's John J. Kelly with his medals. So hopefully you can upgrade him from a I to a II.

I've got a spiritual connection to Kelly - I was present when his niece donated "Uncle Johnny's" medals to the Marine Corps Museum back in 2006 and the full set is now on display in the WW I gallery.

post-106351-0-41046500-1517779025_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I found this in my files. Many years ago I saw Matej Kocak's medal on display at the Naval Academy. Since then the medal seems to have "disappeared" from their acquisitions. Maybe it was only on loan. In any case here is an article showing Kocak's medal. This confirms his receipt of the Tiffany Cross.

Mark Costa

post-2602-0-90604300-1523555549_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
4STARCHRIS

I personally took this photo of Daniel Sullivan Tiffany Cross at the old USMC Museum when it was originally located if I remember correctly in an old hut like building. This was the first time I ever saw a Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor. I hope this helps.

4starchris

post-387-0-15174300-1526754479.jpg

I never heard about Matej Kocak. He was born about an hour drive from my house. That's great news. Thanks for that.

Lubos

• 1 year later...

Found this recently in my files. Sgt Ernst Janson receiving his Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor -- newspaper dated Nov 29 1920. Note the paper is using Charles Hoffman instead of Janson. Interesting that it mentions that there were 9 navy men who already received an Army MOH. Must be an error as we know of only the 5 marines -- WERE THERE MORE WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT ?? !!!!

Mark Costa

post-2602-0-26682000-1581968665_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I believe I may have confirmed another TC recipient.  This is a photo of a First style TC in the Charles Coolidge Heritage Museum that is possibly attributed to Osmond Ingram. We had placed him in a possible category. I have contacted the museum and I am awaiting for answer as whether this is actually his original medal.  I will advise everyone when word has been received.

Mark Costa

90477101_2617310681711933_816023492519526400_o.jpg

This is not his original medal - Ed saw this same medal at an Art Museum in Alabama - This medal is on loan to the MOH Center - I know this because I am a volunteer in the archives

Bill

Bill;

Many thanks for confirming this.  It is a let down as I thought for sure we finally had an answer for Ingram.

regards,

Mark Costa

I have now received a reply from the Charles Coolidge Heritage Museum and despite what Bill (USMCR79} posted, Molly Randolph from the museum stated that the Tiffany Cross on display is INDEED the one awarded to Osmond Ingram.  The medal as stated is on loan from the Birmingham Museum of Art. This now CONFIRMS 100% that Ingram was a Tiffany Cross recipient.

Mark Costa

Another update on Ingram's medal. The medal has been sent back to the Birmingham Museum of Art but it is no longer on display there. It is in storage.  Attached is a photo that was sent by Molly from the Heritage Museum just before it was sent back. As you can see it is a first version style with the little "finger" or knob at the top of the cross.

Mark Costa

Ingram Medal.jpg