WWI 307th Engineers Helmet Real?

McDermut99

Came across this British helmet at a flea market but it has painted markings to the 307th Engineer Battalion. The owner wants $60 for it, which leads me to suspect its authenticity. I tried to get good pictures of the paint and helmet. Does the helmet appear original and if so how much would it be worth?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I dont see any obvious red flags. For $60, Id take a chance on it, especially if its a rimless Mk I and not just one where the rim fell off.

What he said. My first ever piece of militaria was a rimless Brodie. I was about 9 or 10, told Grandpa I wanted it at an auction, and he got in a box of junk for $11. I took good care of it, but didn't even know that it was special until later.

I agree.Looks fine.

U.S. used a lot of Brit helmets early.If a true rimless they are a bit scarece as well but the condition is a factor.

I decided to go back a buy the helmet. One characteristic of the helmet I didn’t notice the first time I looked at it was that the brim is rather uneven in width. Here are some better photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah I can see where it looks like the rim fell off, looks like a faint outline around the helmet rim area. Great helmet though! And for $60 too, that's a great price!

Hunt

I think the magnetic thing is a bit of a collector canard. I have the specifications for the MK I helmet, and the only mention of the steel used is that it has to meet the ballistic requirements. There's nothing there about the specific alloy or being non-magnetic.

That being said, I think I see a ghost of a rim on this one.

Is that the 82nd ID done in red on the side of this one?

Yes it is, its also one of the reasons the helmet caught my eye. The 307th Engineer Battalion was activated at Fort Gordon and attached to the 82nd I.D.