Year-long storage conditions

Stillwell

So I'm being sent overseas for a short tour with the Air Force soon and I'm trying to figure out how best to store my collection while I'm gone. Mostly a mix of WWII, Vietnam and Desert storm gear.

I'm leery about storing it with my normal home goods with the travel office mainly because it will be placed into a generic storage unit without climate control somewhere in Texas. The uniforms and web gear and all I'm not too worried about, I'm more concerned about rubber and leather items with the heat and all.

Does anyone have any recommendations on whether or not to store all of it there or none of it etc?

I had to store my rather large collection for a year while my new home was being built, and the old one sold. My conditions were that the storage facility have climate control, around the clock TV security, and a high strength lock. I had three large units. Everything came out totally intact. Hope this is of some help to you. Jack

Having been in your shoes several times, do you have a family member that you could leave your things? My issue was firearms, and I never once let the government handle or store them. In your case, I'd put everything you have in plastic storage bins and leave them with someone you trust. If that's not possible or practical, have you looked into a climate-controlled storage garage/locker? If that's also not possible, does your AF unit have any storage?

Jumpin Jack: Thanks! That was one of the options I was looking into, I'll have to see

Major Z: Eh the biggest option would be my parents but they don't really have the storage space for it back home. I've got a similar issue with firearms and given all the horror stories I've heard about TMO, I don't know if I feel comfortable leaving those with them. I'm definitely considering a climate controlled storage area!

Main thing was I was curious if anyone's dealt with storing items in non-climate controlled storage, but from the sound of it it isn't the advised option

Prior to placing your items in storage boxes, I would advise the use of "Space Bags" as an extra measure. I have been using then for storage in an non-temperature controlled storage locker and have had no issues. even if the seal is lost they still offer another level of protection.

• 3 weeks later...

Polksi303: Got some ready to go! I'm preparing stuff that I'm okay with going into non-temp controlled storage (field gear, uniforms, etc) in large plastic tubs, some in the space bags, all catalogued and priced out. Anything rubber or leather I'm putting in a separate box that I'm storing at a friend's.