Some mugs I received when I served with the 16th Infantry in Germany

I was cleaning out the attic today and "re-found" mugs I received when I served with the 1st Battalion 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division in Germany. I was stationed at Panzer Kaserne. I got these two when I left in 1978:

post-60-0-99629100-1517514332.jpg

post-60-0-60594800-1517514347.jpg

post-60-0-25554200-1517514361.jpg

And here is a mug I received from the German unit that was stationed at the Kaserne in Boeblingen. They had a little canteen in the barracks and all the soldiers there had one just like this. I asked and they gave me one! Does anyone know what that Kaserne is called?

Kim

post-60-0-23736000-1517514521.jpg

Great mugs! The name of the Bundeswehr Kaserne was: "Eberhard-Wildermuth Kaserne". The unit you got the mug from was disbanded in 1993 btw.

Proud-Kraut, Thanks for the information! I wonder if that Kaserne is still open as a military installation?

You're welcome! The Kaserne is no longer a military instalation but home of a police academy.

The Kaserne was located in the middle of town. I remember walking the halls of that old Kaserne. A stunningly beautiful and original old military style structure. As I recall, you go through the arched opening in front which then opens up to a big parade ground on the inside. Walking to my buddy's room, there were a number of black and white photographs of WW2 German soldiers spaced along the walls on the stairs and hallways. I assume they were high level medal awardees during the war. Sobering for a young soldier (me) at the time. I felt I was chest high in history.