Awesome son in service flag added today

trenchrat1918

trenchrat1918

Hello, I wanted to share another large service banner that arrived in the mail today. This banner is 48"x 29" and is made from a rayon or something similar. The number and stars are all felt and are sewn. The banner came from an estate in Cheboygen, MI and I am trying to pin down the company or community that this came from. Thanks for looking, Wes.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

trenchrat1918

I wonder if that was for a unit - the 207th something or other?

Red stars represent missing or captured. 

Typically the number represented the number of servicemen. It was just another way of doing instead of sewing 207 stars. The light is awful today and the banner is quit faded but the stars are all gold.

Typically the number represented the number of servicemen. It was just another way of doing instead of sewing 207 stars. The light is awful today and the banner is quit faded but the stars are all gold.

Before I had my morning coffee they looked red.

So, who would had made such a flag? It would seem that 207 KIA's is a lot for a small town. I did search around and found colleges reporting the number of student and faculty killed in WW1 - for example Columbia Universty had over 200 KIA's - the University of Washington more than 50.

That explains a lot! There was one on eBay recently that also had a number, but the seller didn't know what it signified. It makes sense that a large organization would just use a number in place of blue service stars, but show gold stars individually.

trenchrat1918

Before I had my morning coffee they looked red. 

So, who would had made such a flag? It would seem that 207 KIA's is a lot for a small town.  I did search around and found colleges reporting the number of student and faculty killed in WW1 - for example Columbia Universty had over 200 KIA's - the University of Washington more than 50.

There would have been 207 individuals in the service, thus represented by the 207 below the large blue star and 8 killed represented by the 8 gold stars. I hope this makes it clearer, my communication skills aren't at their peak today. Too much gray and cold today.

That really is spectacular.

I was chasing after that one too, but the faded border put me off for using it my book. The uniqueness of the "reverse" cut out number is pretty unusual too.

Let us know if you find anything on it!

trenchrat1918

That really is spectacular.

I was chasing after that one too, but the faded border put me off for using it my book. The uniqueness of the "reverse" cut out number is pretty unusual too.

Let us know if you find anything on it!

So you ran me up, LOL! It really is a great banner even with fading. I had to buy this one with the hope that I can link the flag to a local community or business. Did you happen to buy the NSGW banner that sold last night? It would make me a lot happier knowing that it went to you if I couldnt have it.

trenchrat1918

Sadly no, not me. I am not even sure what a NSGW banner is!

There was a gorgeous service flag on eBay with a sewn on header from a chapter of the Native Sons Of the Golden West. This is a fraternal organisation that at one time had rascist overtones.

• 2 years later...
Love of flags

Why have I never commented on this one. This banner even in its faded condition is amazing!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

trenchrat1918
Why have I never commented on this one. This banner even in its faded condition is amazing!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, it's one of my favorites.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk