Turning Into A Helmet Collector

MT247

Well it’s just a plane jane M1 but I like it. Somehow I’m slowly turning into a helmet guy. Just picked this one up through a trade on the forum. Late rear seam McCord shell in good shape and an early Westinghouse liner with green washers. Hope you enjoy

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lost-and-found-history

I no longer collect helmets, but I did almost exclusively for several years. It's addicting, for sure. One of the things that drew me to helmets (and headgear for that matter), is that it's one of the most singularly personal pieces of gear issued to any soldier. Collecting them is addictive, for sure...enjoy!

You are doomed for 40 years or more.......! Bought my first helmet back in the mid to late 1970's.... Thank God when I met my future wife I hade like 14 of them, all on the cinder block shelf in the studio apartment....... Told her the package deal was that I collect helmets, WW2 guns, and old cars.......... Makes me happy...... Especially 55/56/57 Chevys.... Old Mustangs, and maybe a Ranchero or Malibu or two hear and there......... Anyway, all is good. Just make room to have 80 or so lids in your house at any one time and you can join the crazy club of collecting helmets of all sorts.......... Best to specialize, but I can't seem to do that. US, German, Japanese, English, French, Belgian.... Can't help myself, so much history there.... Good luck...! Chris

I find myself every couple years venturing into a new part of the US collecting world. Started with strictly Medals then came uniforms and now I accidentally have 3 WW2 Era and 1 WW1 era helmets. Started my infantry division patch collection, so much for specializing in one area.

I shied away from helmets because I realized after reading posts here that I knew nothing about them. But.... one sneaks in every once in a while no matter what. You just come into contact with one - a tanker helmet - a Japanese helmet - a camo WW1 German helmet - and you can't walk away. ...and I still know very little about them .

lost-and-found-history

I shied away from helmets because I realized after reading posts here that I knew nothing about them. But.... one sneaks in every once in a while no matter what. You just come into contact with one - a tanker helmet - a Japanese helmet - a camo WW1 German helmet - and you can't walk away. ...and I still know very little about them .

Don't feel badly. It took me ten solid years of collecting and researching M1 helmets and their variants before I could consider myself somewhat educated on the topic...and I'm still learning.

Don't feel badly. It took me ten solid years of collecting and researching M1 helmets and their variants before I could consider myself somewhat educated on the topic...and I'm still learning.

Nearly 15 years in and Im learning everyday ,

Because the Us items are becoming so popular and prized, prices have gone through the roof.

So many fakes now that are very very good , so many things to look out for.

But saying that it really is one of the most rewarding hobbies there is imho

Good luck and let us know what you find

D.C

Burning Hazard

Too long for me to remember, I was a young teen at the start of the 90's when I got my first complete WWII fixed bail M1 and liner from a Canadian surplus shop at a staggering price of $40 CDN in that time. I'll never forget the large stacks of WWII M1 helmets and liners at all the surplus shops; Canada bought tens of thousands of M1 helmets from US in 1960 and switched to kevlar in 1986, that's probably the reason I got the helmet bug in Canada haha!

Pat

This bug is horrible. You end up with mountains of pots in your living room. Yesterday I was hiking through my ww2 section.

I told my wife I caught the bug. She told me to stay away from the kids so they don’t get it.