Found another relative from civil war help with unit

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

While researching father's mother's side( my grandmother), it seems her grandfather was in Co G. 9th INF. , He's from NY. Any ideas what unit that was? What would I look up, NY 9th volunteers, or was is a regular army unit. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalkpost-11207-0-01677500-1517426760_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I found the second one you posted, Hawkins zouaves, I checked the roster the only Joyce is a Patrick not John. Are cilvil war records precise? Maybe he went by middle name. Cavalry? Never thought that. I'll see if I can find the roster.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Don’t confuse Calvary, which is the cemetery’s name, with the cavalry. Your man was a Private in Company G, 9th Infantry Regiment. Probably a volunteer infantry regiment from New York, but it could have been from another state. Good luck.

The units I suggested were two volunteer units from New York I found, it was only a quick search do give some ideas of possible units. I'll give the name a search in ancestry and see if it yields any results.

Hunt

BILL THE PATCH

Hello,

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1965&h=378591&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Sfx6&_phstart=successSource

I am unsure if this is your guy but it was the best of the records that came up in my search.

Hunt

Thanks huntsurplus, but your link just brings me to the ancestry home page. Nothing else. Thank you for trying.

BILL THE PATCH

Don’t confuse Calvary, which is the cemetery’s name, with the cavalry. Your man was a Private in Company G, 9th Infantry Regiment. Probably a volunteer infantry regiment from New York, but it could have been from another state. Good luck.

No I actually thought he meant cavalry, not the cemetery. I know the cemetery well I'm from that area. I wonder why he's not on the roster. Could his unit be from another state? And not NY

familytreevets

The National Park Service Soldier and Sailor Roster has well over a dozen John Joyce's from New York State alone, all in different units.

What led you to believe this one is your guy?

BILL THE PATCH

This soldier had a son who had a son Ferdinand who married my grandmother.

• 2 years later...
WW2UsCollector

I know this was posted a while ago, but your relative was in the 9th New York Volunteer Infantry regiment. It was formed by Rush C Hawkins in 1861, and was made into a Zouave unit which they would wear a French Zouave/ Algerian Zouave mix. They were kinda like the special forces, but for the civil war. They participated in 

Battle of Forts Clark and Hatteras
Battle of Roanoke Island
Battle of Elizabeth City
Battle of South Mills
Battle of Antietam
Battle of Fredericksburg
Siege of Suffolk
New York Draft Riots
At the battle of Antietam they suffered heavy casualties suffering around 240. In 1863 the 9th was disbanded and some men went to the 3rd New York Infantry and most went to the 17th New York Veteran Volunteer infantry. Also, their battle cry was "Zoo Zoo Zoo!" this was adopted, because the confederates would call them the Little Zoo's, so at the Battle of Antietam as the 9th Charged at the confederates they shouted "Zoo Zoo Zoo!". 

Also it wasn't uncommon back then for the names to get mixed up my 4th Great-Grandfather William J Corbin enlisted in 1861 in the 4th New York Heavy Artillery his enlistment name was William J Carbon and his discharge name was John J Corben.

Hope this Helps!

Edward A Caster.jpg

LTC George Frederic Betts.jpg

• 4 months later...