GFAB M1 Helmet For Review

Nickman983

I recently saw this helmet come up for sale and I was wondering what you guys thought about its authenticity. It's a fixed bail M1 with either a 321st or 907th Glider Field Artillery unit marking on the side.

I have a few concerns with the helmet. The first being the authenticity of the unit marking. At a first glance I thought the paint looked OK however, I do not have enough experience with painted helmets to be certain. My other concerns are with the liner. The liner that comes with the helmet is a high pressure liner however, the seller claims that it is a St. Clair liner. I am not sure whether to take this discrepancy is due to a lack of knowledge on the sellers part or deception. My other concern with the liner is that the sweatband and nape strap do not look original to the liner. The webbing looks significantly more soiled than the nape strap or sweatband which leads me to believe that they were added at a later date. Finally, there is the fact that the

Any thoughts on it's authenticity? Due to the fact that the helmet is not named and that it is an airborne helmet I am a bit suspicious but I wanted to get some other opinions on this helmet.

I have asked the seller for close ups of the paint, if I get them I will update this post.

post-169952-0-03209500-1517420850_thumb.jpg

post-169952-0-52925700-1517420867_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

There is a strange dark halo around the insignia which leads me to believe that someone was rubbing the insignia to age it and at the same time was inadvertently cleaning and darkening a halo around the marking by removing any original surface patina. Thoughts on my theory?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

There is a strange dark halo around the insignia which leads me to believe that someone was rubbing the insignia to age it and at the same time was inadvertently cleaning and darkening a halo around the marking by removing any original surface patina. Thoughts on my theory?

I see it too.

lost-and-found-history

First, the liner; Its an early high pressure liner with rayon webbing...pretty nice in its own right! Secondly, the helmet; I'm not at all convinced on the insignia. The fact that it's only painted on one side is a little odd, plus it just has that look of artificial aging that seems to be so common on so many known fakes out there. Were it not for the insignia, I'd be all in on this one. On another note...it's sad that in our pursuit to preserve military history, we have to be so hyper-cautious these days. I blame 12 year old re-enactors and the Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan fanatics! I may be totally off on this one, but I'd rather pass on it given my doubts then pull the trigger and lose a thousand bucks!

Burning Hazard

I believe this one has already been discussed. Not sure where the thread is.

Hunt

It was posted in the Real or What section but I suggested for nickman to post it here to get more opinions.

Pat

It was posted in the Real or What section but I suggested for nickman to post it here to get more opinions.

Pat

Oh okay, I was looking for it and couldn't find it.

Hunt