June 6, 1944 C-47 Crash Sites - Legends and Realities

patelie

[June 6, 1944 Crash Sites - Legends and Realities.]
Research on the C-47 crash sites during the missions flown by the Troop Carrier on June 6 and June 7, 1944, conducted jointly with Philippe Nekrassoff, led us to ask questions.
The receipt of documents and photographs allows us to question misconceptions and incorrect locations regarding Lieutenant William Roycraft's C-47 (313th TCG) and Lieutenant Marvin Muir's C-47 (439th TCG).
The result of this research is visible on the site.
http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_crash.php

General Apathy

[June 6, 1944 Crash Sites - Legends and Realities.]

Research on the C-47 crash sites during the missions flown by the Troop Carrier on June 6 and June 7, 1944, conducted jointly with Philippe Nekrassoff, led us to ask questions.

The receipt of documents and photographs allows us to question misconceptions and incorrect locations regarding Lieutenant William Roycraft's C-47 (313th TCG) and Lieutenant Marvin Muir's C-47 (439th TCG).

The result of this research is visible on the site.

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_crash.php

Hi Patelie, nice information thanks.

I am also aware that the details on the monument at Picauville is incorrect, the serial on the tail of the aircraft is visible as 15101, whereas on the monument they are claiming it as 100876.

below is a shot of 15101 and just in front of the tail-plane is the spire of the church in Carquebut. , see the next shot for a comparison I took four weeks ago and again the church of Carquebut can be see above the tree line.

cheers Lewis.

post-344-0-15962700-1517416538_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Patlie . . . . . . .

comparison photo taken last month of the crash site for C-47 15101, the Carquebut church shows on the treeline.

regards lewis.

post-344-0-05055100-1517416954_thumb.jpg

I got curious about the crash of Muir's aircraft and started looking on FOLD3 for the MACR. It does not appear that a MACR was completed for this aircraft. However in a book C-47/R4D Units of the ETO and MTO, they quote the squadron intelligence officer's report which states "The speed of the aircraft was in excess of normal landing speed-about 150 miles per hour. It hit the ground at that angle in a burst of flame in the vicinity of the railroad a few miles southeast of St Mere Eglise, near the base of the Cherbourg peninsula." https://books.google.com/books?id=4ZseDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=100876+c-47&source=bl&ots=mKvI2nQJ9S&sig=v7ixjZInHh2rqJye2aJ9th1JJI4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd8_zM04LZAhVMZKwKHWiMCL8Q6AEISjAJ#v=onepage&q=100876&f=false

Is there a railroad near the crash site where 15101 crashed? Or by the description was the reported crash site of Muir's aircraft not near the crash site of 15101?

Patelie, your site may have answered this question, but I can't view your site right now.

General Apathy

Aircraft shown on the photograph, #43-15101 is not Marvin Muir's aircraft but Raymond Howard's aircraft. Howard towed a glider during mission chicago, Chalk #51 in serial #27, was shot down and crash landed on the east side of L'isle Marie..

You are right, on the map on their monument they write that's Muir's Aircraft, #42-100876, crashed at L'isle Marie.. But it's not the only place where it's said. Make a search with Google and you will see the number of sites which are wrong.

Since many many years it was common to heard that Roycraft's aircraft crashed at Sainte Mere Eglise and Muir's aircraft crashed at L'isle Marie. All of this is wrong.

Beast

The is no railroad southeast of Ste Mere Eglise. Railroad Paris to Cherbourg is west of Sainte Mere Eglise.

Marvin Muir's aircraft #42-100876 crashed just at the actual site of "Hotel Sainte Mere", at the south entrance of the town

All of this is explained on my website. I hope you will be able to see it.

General Apathy

General Apathy

Aircraft shown on the photograph, #43-15101 is not Marvin Muir's aircraft but Raymond Howard's aircraft. Howard towed a glider during mission chicago, Chalk #51 in serial #27, was shot down and crash landed on the east side of L'isle Marie..

You are right, on the map on their monument they write that's Muir's Aircraft, #42-100876, crashed at L'isle Marie.. But it's not the only place where it's said. Make a search with Google and you will see the number of sites which are wrong.

Since many many years it was common to heard that Roycraft's aircraft crashed at Sainte Mere Eglise and Muir's aircraft crashed at L'isle Marie. All of this is wrong.

Beast

The is no railroad southeast of Ste Mere Eglise. Railroad Paris to Cherbourg is west of Sainte Mere Eglise.

Marvin Muir's aircraft #42-100876 crashed just at the actual site of "Hotel Sainte Mere", at the south entrance of the town

All of this is explained on my website. I hope you will be able to see it.

Hi Patelie, yes I was aware of a number of inaccuracies especially regarding the site and crew of #100876, however I haven't gone into it in the depth that you have, well done for trying to set records straight.

lewis.