Netted M1 Helmet named

ArchangelDM

This came In the post today from a friend of mine ,

Netted M1 fixed bail with early Westinghouse Liner.

The net is my favourite part, its taken on this yellow colour which I would believe is due to sun bleaching. Its mottled , broken and has lots of character.

The chinstrap is heavily used and is the brass type , the liner is heavily heavily used.

Sweat stains , dirt and a field fix to boot. Looks like a possible fixing tape , its old and brittle and has been on there since WW2.

The liner is named to a Basque , Im thinking this is the type of nets used around the time of Market Garden.

Helmet straps are the early brass and the straps have turned almost yellow too with sun bleaching

Enjoy

D.C

Been looking up the word Basque and found this , probably nothing but interesting all the same

Soldiers of Basque ancestry were also used for code talking by the U.S. Marines during World War II in areas where other Basque speakers were not expected to be operating.

lost-and-found-history

Been looking up the word Basque and found this , probably nothing but interesting all the same

Soldiers of Basque ancestry were also used for code talking by the U.S. Marines during World War II in areas where other Basque speakers were not expected to be operating.

Fold3.com lists a hundred or so US soldiers with the last name "BASQUE" that served in the Army in WW2. One of them is most likely your guy, but without further info, you may never know.

Fold3.com lists a hundred or so US soldiers with the last name "BASQUE" that served in the Army in WW2. One of them is most likely your guy, but without further info, you may never know.

Thought as much

Well this story will never be told which is a shame , but can still admire its character

Thanks

D.C

Definitely a nice looking helmet, love the net and liner! Thanks for sharing!

Hunt

Thanks Hunt

Liner is salty just how I like em