Below (2002, Film)

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper

Here's a great, and fairly unheard of, film. It's a horror flick aboard a Gato class US submarine (the fictional USS Tiger Shark) in the ETO during WW2.

I wont give too much away, but she takes on 3 survivors from a torpedoed British hospital ship, which was sunk by a German U-Boat. After they pick up the survivors, they make an emergency dive as a German destroyer closes in. It appears that the Tiger Shark will survive the encounter as they find cold water and come to a full stop, all quite. Then, mysteriously, the record player goes off an the Tiger Shark gets attacked by a series of depth charges. And that's just the beginning!

Ghostly encounters, including some with their previous XO (who died mysteriously), ensue and suffice it to say, it's one of the better sub movies ive seen. Lots of suspense and the plot is excellent. I would rate this 9.5/10, it's pretty dang good!

As for historical accuracy, from what I could tell they did a pretty good job. Accurate use of the rescue breathing apparatus and diving gear, and they used a real sub for filming at least the outside shots. The uniforms look good to me, as well as most of the props. A good movie for sure, although it's historical fiction.

What are your thoughts?

I've seen it, I think on Netflix, and enjoyed it. It didn't receive a lot of exposure when it was released and I'm not sure why. It was filmed partially aboard the USS SIlversides in Muskegon, MI. I think I first heard of it while visiting the museum there.

Hello, I followed your advice and watched it yesterday. It was OK but for me, that horrible British woman ruined the whole movie. Such a shame they had to add her to the scenario.