WWII KIA Purple Heart in online auction

kkevin2004

Online auction for what appears to be a Purple Heart for a bomber pilot killed in late 1942. Does the hand engraving look official for that time frame?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Kevin

post-81215-0-96237000-1517182257_thumb.jpg

How many World War II veterans named Lewis A. Anderson are there? I would double check and make sure there's not a bunch of them.

Kurt

Thanks for the opinions!

I definitely see your point, Kastauffer! Would take some research to prove this particular PH belonged to the pilot.

The engraving looks good for that time period and there's only one KIA Lewis A. Anderson. That said, I've seen WIA ones from that timeframe with the same engraving. So...you'd have to figure out if one of the others might have gotten wounded. Not an impossible task. In my book, I'd be comfortable saying this belonged to "the" Lewis A. Anderson who was KIA.

You also have to consider the Army was awarding purple hearts to World War I veterans throughout World War II. These are also officially engraved. I'm just saying that there is always a chance it could belong to another guy since it's a common name. You just have to be thorough with research on medals where there could be multiple recipients.

Kurt

I found some newspaper articles concerning the Lt Lewis A. Anderson from Essex, NJ. Evidently he was reported KIA sometime in 1943, but later was found alive. Thanks to you all for chiming in on this. It’s nice to know and amateur collector of history can rely on expert opinions from you guys!

You also have to consider the Army was awarding purple hearts to World War I veterans throughout World War II. These are also officially engraved. I'm just saying that there is always a chance it could belong to another guy since it's a common name. You just have to be thorough with research on medals where there could be multiple recipients.

Kurt

I think Kurt hit the nail on the head; unless you have more information to back up who the man is for sure it could be any one of a dozen soldiers or airmen. As for WWI veterans, I have a PH issued to a 370th Doughboy wounded in action on 19 September 1918 getting his Purple Heart issued on 30 December 1953 and another Corporal in the 326th Infantry WIA on 4 August 1918 getting his Purple Heart and Certificate issued on 27 September 1965. This indicate that something more than the Purple Heart and engraving is needed to pin down the recipient of the Purple Heart when you have multiple veterans with the exact same name. Just my SWAG from the cheap seats.

John

• 3 years later...