TF-100 C #54-1966 crash relic with a "D" tail

P-59A

I was tracking the blow off debris from a B-24 crash site. About 2 miles from the B-24 impact I came across jet era blow off debris. I worked a spiral circle and started tracking the jet era crash relics. I found this in the line of blow off debris and many other items, but about a mile into it the blow off debris stopped. After much searching I was unable to locate the impact site. This was perplexing as none of the information we had indicated any F-100 D crash site in that area. I contacted Dr. Puffer at Edwards and he had no information that would help. His best guess was it was a part of the ZEL 100 flown by Blackburn. The ZEL impact is in Harpers Dry lake many miles from the tail parts I found. This got us to thinking and we took a hard look at the F-100 data we had. The TF-100 C # 54-1966 mishap report on 04-09-57 fit the findings on the ground. She was testing near Edwards AFB what would become the "D" tail. During a test at 40,000 feet the tail failed and blew off. A year later and about 10 miles away Witherspoon and I found the TF-100 C impact site. A photo of her showed she had red on her tail and that lined up with parts on the ground.

post-169522-0-49828800-1517171087_thumb.jpg

post-169522-0-63620000-1517171097_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That was a regular F-100C converted into a 2 place aircraft, then given the D model tail like you described. It was the prototype for the later F-100F combat capable trainer. That aircraft model series was later used in the first Wild Weasel program, and also the Misty forward air control effort in SEA.

Randy

That was a regular F-100C converted into a 2 place aircraft, then given the D model tail like you described. It was the prototype for the later F-100F combat capable trainer. That aircraft model series was later used in the first Wild Weasel program, and also the Misty forward air control effort in SEA.

Randy

Thats her Randy.