Seaman's knife question

stratasfan

Hi, again! Got a question that has been in the back of my mind for years and now I finally remembered it when I am at my comp! I read in a book (Navy story) about something that I think was called a Seaman's Knife (but don't quote me on that!). It had a wider hinged blade on one end and something described like a shackle-locking marlin spike on the other.

So . . . any idea what this might be?

Thanks for any thoughts! :)

Elizabeth

Oops! I seem to have posted this in Firearms when I thought I clicked edged! So, please move, mods! :)

It's almost like asking what's a jack knife? They've been around for years and come in many varieties. Also there are a lot of different names attached to them. But it sounds like your asking about knives like these two.

post-17422-0-69960100-1517173394.jpgpost-17422-0-86176400-1517173410.jpg

The next question would be are you looking for a certain type. One that was likely carried by a WW2 U.S. sailor for instance, or the type carried by a British sailor, they would be a little different.

You're amazing! I bet that is it! I had no idea what a marlin spike knife would be. I kind of imagined more of an ice pick, but I guess I was a bit wrong on that. No particular type, I guess, as I think it was just given to a sailor by the Bosun on the ship and described as having a hinged blade and a shackle-locking marlin spike. So, I bet you are right! Are these knives issued in the USN or USCG? How about 1950s varieties? I'm thinking that is when the book was from.

Also, do these have a name?

(Thanks ever so! Edged weapons are totally new to me, so I am starting almost at the bottom! Now, if you wanted to talk about Henckel cooking knives or wood-carving gouges . . . I'm not so basic. But beyond that, my knife knowledge is extremely limited!) :)

P.S. Is the "shackle" part that little metal piece that looks like a tab by the base of the spike? What does the shackle do?

P.S. Is the "shackle" part that little metal piece that looks like a tab by the base of the spike? What does the shackle do?

basically its a lanyard loop or allows you to clip/secure the knife to a cord,snap link etc so its not dropped or lost

Of the two rigging knives illustrated above, the one on the right is made by Case and the one on the left appears to be the standard KABAR rigging knife.

By custom, the tip of the blade is blunted, or sometimes called sheep footed. In the days of sail, if a seaman carried a sheath knife, the 1st mate would chase him down and have the blade tip of the blade broken off and blunted. This made it useful as a screw driver and supposedly kept the crew members from stabbing each other, but, more importantly, it helped to cut down on the possibility of accidentally slashing a sail. Crew was expendable, sail made money..

The marlinspike, at the other end is used in splicing both soft line, and more importantly, wire rope. It is used to open the strands to allow other strands to be tucked under to make the splice. Usually for 'soft lines' it was a tapered pin made of wood and called a FID. The steel spike was used with wire rope and is properly a MARLINSPIKE. On those knives, the spike would normally be used to tighten and loosen a type os rigging shackle called a 'screw pin shackle'...That small tab is used to make your lanyard fast to the knife and serves as a release for the locking tab that keeps the spike from folding back and buggering up your knuckles..

Thanks ever so! Super info! I am so glad that I finally remembered to post about this! Been one of those things in the back of my mind for ages! I am going to see if I can dig out the book and type up the bit about it.

Ron (doyler), you never cease to amaze me with the scope of things that you know about! :)

OBTW the other knife I posted is a Camillus, but yes it looks like the one that KA-BAR or Union Cutlery made also. Camillus also made one that looks like the Case knife posted.

OBTW the other knife I posted is a Camillus, but yes it looks like the one that KA-BAR or Union Cutlery made also. Camillus also made one that looks like the Case knife posted.

I found a Camillus in a pawn shop a few months ago.

I've read some were USN issue as well as sold in PX and hardware stores and that the ones from 60s and later do not have US markings.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Thanks for that pic! Super cool! Any ballparks on a good range to pay for one of these cool items? On the forum, that is, as I wouldn't begin to look on eBay or anything, since I wouldn't know what to look for! :) Just . . . now I have to add this to my list!

I think they were asking 65 and I paid 35. 65 was prob not a bad retail price since it looked new. There are older ones that will bring much more. It's a very old pattern.

Somebody on the forum will know a lot more than me and hopefully have some very early ones.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad had one, I think his had stainless side panels with "U.S." engraved, not the "bone" (or whatever) shown above but I'm going from memory and I haven't seen it in over 20 years...

He had also tied on a sort length of braided rope on the hasp as I recall. And I remember it was sharpened MANY times, and not well...