"Hostiles" film

Bluehawk

"Hostiles"

The wife and I went to this new (2017) film today, and enjoyed it a lot... as a kind of old-fashioned style Western, with a good emotional/ethical/personal core about some relationships between/within the U.S. Army and central Plains natives (Comanche and Cheyenne).

I would not have attended to start with had it not been that the great Wes Studi stars in it as Chief Yellow Hawk.

It takes place in the early 1890s, from Texas to Montana, through New Mexico and Colorado. There are some military/cavalry goofs in it, probably more than I am aware of - but that in no way (for us) detracted from the moral lessons and beauty of the film.

It is well acted by all involved, and has a nice ending that some will appreciate greatly.

Worth the time and expense, for sure to anyone who likes this sort of thing... and quite a relief from the unending "social justice" fare that fills so many screens these days. There is a natural element of that in the film, but it surely does not beat you over the head about it from minute one to the end.

Most film critics seem to be sniping and snooty about it, for various reasons difficult to comprehend.

post-3976-0-02962800-1517120830_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the quick review. I'd been thinking of whether or not to go. Too many of the recent Westerns have had a very moralistic approach to them.

Charlie Flick

I saw it, too. I thought it was excellent and commend it to all who are interested in seeing a quality Western motion picture.

Regards,

Charlie

Patchcollector

It looks like a great movie.I like Christian bail as an actor and Wes Studi is a fave of mine too.It's also directed by Scott Cooper,who has made some pretty decent films.I intend on seeing it.

"Hostiles"

Worth the time and expense, for sure to anyone who likes this sort of thing... and quite a relief from the unending "social justice" fare that fills so many screens these days. There is a natural element of that in the film, but it surely does not beat you over the head about it from minute one to the end.

Most film critics seem to be sniping and snooty about it, for various reasons difficult to comprehend.

Thank you for the succinct and non-revealing review of a film that piqued my interest. When I see period/historical films that touch on certain events or subjects that are often the targets of history-revision from SJW Hollywood, I am very reluctant to pay attention, let alone $15 per seat to see. Last year's Dunkirk was a pleasant surprise for me.

I will be seeing Hostiles.

Thanks, Bluehawk!

Wise choice of film title, "Hostiles":

www.dictionary.com/browse/hostile

Late 15c., from Middle French hostile "of or belonging to an enemy" or directly from Latin hostilis "of an enemy," from hostis "enemy" (see guest). The noun meaning "hostile person" is recorded from 1838, American English, a word from the Indian wars.

Toda raba, 67Rally

I, too, greatly appreciated the "Dunkirk" film.

Thank you for the succinct and non-revealing review of a film that piqued my interest. When I see period/historical films that touch on certain events or subjects that are often the targets of history-revision from SJW Hollywood, I am very reluctant to pay attention, let alone $15 per seat to see. Last year's Dunkirk was a pleasant surprise for me.

I will be seeing Hostiles.

Thanks, Bluehawk!

• 2 weeks later...

Very enjoyable film------could get picky on a few observations but won't. Didn't effect the film so find them yourselves! Bobgee

• 2 weeks later...

How in the world could Hostiles have cost $69,000,000 to make?

Tried to get a handle on that, but not yet... plus, it was $39,000,000 not $69, sorry (fat finger malady).

Salaries and fuel, mostly?

• 2 weeks later...

Actor in this film Wes Studi, an in-country VN veteran, 18 months (A Co, 3rd Btn, 39th Inf, 9th Inf Div) gave a fitting tribute to some of the Hollywood Oscar-nominated U.S. military films of the past 90 years, this evening during the presentation.