Hello from The Villages, Florida

JJDAVIES

I signed up primarily to see if I can find pictures of 8 Marines who were KIA in Vietnam. However, I also have an interest in History and Memorabilia so I am looking forward to exploring the Site. I retired from the US Marine Corps Reserve in 2003 after a 37-year career that started in Vietnam and worked its way through a lot of Reserve Assignments in Arizona and Connecticut primarily. I also retired from IBM after a 37 year career in 2005. I became involved in the Vietnam Virtual Wall Project several months ago. Our Group is close to finding pictures of all Servicemen/Women from Florida who died in Vietnam. The Virtual Wall is a place that complements the Vietnam Wall. All of our people who died there will be honored with their picture instead of just a name on the Wall. Finding these pictures after 50 years is really difficult but the Project (which is Nationwide) is succeeding with the help of professional genealogists and others who are willing to do the research. For the most part, remaining family members are very pleased with the outreach.

I served in Vietnam with the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, Kilo Company initially as a Rifleman although I trained in 81mm mortars. After a severe heat exhaustion on Operation Union, I was transferred to S-3 and worked in Operations and Legal for the remainder of my tour from March, 1967 to April, 1968. I remained in the Reserves and eventually became commissioned and retired as a LtCol.

I will be posting the names of the Marines whose pictures I seek. This site was recommended to me although I have no real expectation that I will have much success but it is worth a try.

suwanneetrader

Welcome. You will be surprised at the resources some of the members on here have. Museum managers, Career retired and active Military with service and friends at NARA, Pentagon and the Services Schools, as well as researchers and writers of Militaria Reference Books and some world known dealers. . All I have had contact the past dozen or so years are nice and helpful. Richard an old retired guy near you in Ocala