Singer in World War II books, both American and British

nirvana

A lot of people are familiar with the American book that Singer published at the end of the war. It includes details about the stuff that they made, interesting stories, etc. The American one is somewhat pricey, as people buy it because of the section on Singer 45s. I've seen them sell in the four figure range. Most people have never seen the British one though, the blue one. It's written in a slightly different style, but has the same basic goal, showing off war products. Singer US produced all kinds of cool stuff, which makes sense. To make a sewing machine, you need to: make large castings, perform precision machining, make wooden cabinets, build electric motors, etc. So they could make gun sights, turrets, ammo crates, gun parts, whatever. Singer UK was a lot more limited, perhaps by the war? They tended to do stampings (machine gun links, Sten parts, and castings (tank tracks, hydraulic cylinders). It's all cool stuff. Anyhow, I've seen one copy of this book, mine, and have heard of another one or two. It took me nearly a decade to find these in the price range that I was willing to touch.

post-153664-0-31512500-1517023876_thumb.jpegpost-153664-0-25358300-1517023888_thumb.jpeg