B17 Co-pilot Jack Struve's tailored Ike jacket.

lost-and-found-history

lost-and-found-history

This tailored Ike jacket, trousers, shirt, tie and crusher with large sized GEMCO eagle belonged to B17 Co-pilot 1st Lieutenant John "Jack" Struve. Lieutenant Struve came aboard with the 379th Bomb Group's 525th Bomb Squadron in January of 1945 and flew his first combat mission on 23 February 1945, attacking the marshalling yards at Creilshem, Germany. He flew17 of his 18 completed missions as the Co-pilot of B17G "Lady Luck," #42-102689. On 22 April 1945, The only mission he was not credited with flying, Lt Struve was assigned as tail gunner on his Squadron Commander's B17G "Miss Anoxia" on a bombing mission over Gelsenkirchen, Germany to attack the German Army Headquarters there. With that aircraft as lead ship, Lt. Struve's job was to ensure from the tail gunner's position, that all other aircraft maintained their place in formation. Lt Struve would fly his final mission on 25 April, 1945, bombing the Armament works located in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia. According to Lt. Struve's family, this was the uniform worn by him on VE Day during the celebration at Piccadilly Circus in London! I'm very proud to now be the caretaker of this uniform!

post-176365-0-52165500-1517016846_thumb.jpg

post-176365-0-68870800-1517017086.jpg

lost-and-found-history

This tailored Ike jacket, trousers, shirt, tie and crusher with large sized GEMCO eagle belonged to B17 Co-pilot 1st Lieutenant John "Jack" Struve. Lieutenant Struve came aboard with the 379th Bomb Group's 525th Bomb Squadron in January of 1945 and flew his first combat mission on 23 February 1945, attacking the marshalling yards at Creilshem, Germany. He flew17 of his 18 completed missions as the Co-pilot of B17G "Lady Luck," #42-102689. On 22 April 1945, The only mission he was not credited with flying, Lt Struve was assigned as tail gunner on his Squadron Commander's B17G "Miss Anoxia" on a bombing mission over Gelsenkirchen, Germany to attack the German Army Headquarters there. With that aircraft as lead ship, Lt. Struve's job was to ensure from the tail gunner's position, that all other aircraft maintained their place in formation. Lt Struve would fly his final mission on 25 April, 1945, bombing the Armament works located in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia. According to Lt. Struve's family, this was the uniform worn by him on VE Day during the celebration at Piccadilly Circus in London! I'm very proud to now be the caretaker of this uniform!

Close-up of Lt. Struve's crusher, wings with combat pilot patch, and ribbon bar

post-176365-0-03972700-1517019592_thumb.jpg

post-176365-0-03831300-1517019620_thumb.jpg

lost-and-found-history

Lt Struve's group patch. This would have been attached to his A2 jacket. This one has never been sewn and was found inside his footlocker. Sadly, I dont have his A2.

post-176365-0-09783500-1517031996_thumb.jpg

Nice uniform! Surprised to see a Bronze Star on there as it's specifically awarded for "heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight".

lost-and-found-history

Nice uniform! Surprised to see a Bronze Star on there as it's specifically awarded for "heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight".

The ribbons were on the Ike when it was removed from his footlocker. According to his obituary, a copy of which was also in the footlocker, it specifically states that he was awarded the BSM. I also have an ID'd Ike for an enlisted 9th AF B-26 radio operator who was also a BSM recipient.

In my experience, BSMs are uncommon on AAF uniforms but they pop up every now and then. I believe the BSM was intended more for the branches who weren't going to be awarded an AM or DFC. Just my observation, and probably wrong.

lost-and-found-history

In my experience, BSMs are uncommon on AAF uniforms but they pop up every now and then. I believe the BSM was intended more for the branches who weren't going to be awarded an AM or DFC. Just my observation, and probably wrong.

One thing that I've come to learn in 40 years of collecting, is that something will always pop up that flies in the face of the accepted norm. I had a grouping belonging to a Vietnam War veteran and later 2 star General who later served on the Joint Chiefs of Staff and was a negotiator and staff officer in the Secretary of Defense office under President Reagan. He was awarded 3 air medals and was never a pilot or air crew member. Apparently, he logged so much time on board an aircraft flying to various locations around the world that he rated 3 Air Medals! Every single E-6 and above NCO in my platoon that I served with in Iraq was awarded a BSM and did absolutely NOTHING to warrant "heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight". It's getting so that very little surprises me anymore!