Two 31st Infantry DIs (red detail and yellow detail)

jakelives

I've picked these up recently, does anyone have any experience with the 31st DI?

The red detail DI is marked Crispulo Zamora, which according to the 31st Infantry Association made their insignia between 1924-1936, though the association page reads like the Zamora-made DIs lacked the requested red detail. It's also a bit lacking in detail compared to another Zamora I've seen on this site, though in a 12 year run they may have switched up the details. Unfortunately I haven't found a lot to go on with these. But, the odd goldish color does explain a reference to a 31st soldier who'd had a gold-plated DI with a red ruby eye custom made. All other 31st DIs I'd seen had been more of a silver color.

I'm not sure about when the yellow-detailed screwback insignia was made as all pre-war references to the DI I've seen refer to it as having red eyes, claws and mouth, not yellow. On the other hand, I don't know what a screwback DI would be for other than the M1911 campaign hats that wouldn't have still been in use after the war. Any ideas?

180126-7-e1516978746155.jpg180126-13-e1516978762791.jpg