Sateen Airborne jump smock

bravo_2_zero

These were experimental in the early '70's -- not at all common. I know Craig Pickrall bought one at ASMIC in '87 -- ask him for deails.

G

LTG Bill Yarborough -- designer of the Army jump wings when a CPT in the 501st para Bn, and later the first commanding general of Special Forces -- told me many years ago that in 1963-1964 he (personally) got a new version of the M1942 jump jackets and trousers made up for test. He described it as "a line for line copy, only with buttons instead of snaps and in lightweight green 'fatigue cloth'. He further stated that the design was "hashed up" by Army Materiel Command before becoming the familiar SEA jungle fatigues.

I offer this to say that maybe this jacket goes further back than the 1970's.

Take away the belt, and change the material to poplin rather than sateen, and you have the precursor of the Vietnam era jungle fatigue.

I have seen in the past two similar jackets and both had 82nd Abn subdued merrowed edge SSI, US Army nylon tape and velcro band for the name.

Must have been tested by the 82nd Abn ?

• 1 month later...

I figured that must have been how they came up with the tropical combat uniform, but I wasn't aware of this sateen belted 'Temperate' version. There actually are a few more differences from the m42 jump jacket. The m42 had a stand and fall collar with a two-snap closure tab, while army fatigues had already shifted to flat collars before this model was tested and this is no exception. Also, I believe the m42 had a seam between the upper torso and the skirt, under the belt. The back of the m42 jacket had bi-swing pleats and no yoke. The yoke on this is also different from the tropical uniforms. The tropical uniform was longer in design so as to make more room between the lower and upper pockets for the pistol belt, but this appears to have the same cut as the m42. It's also interesting to note that this model has no gas flap, so does that mean it came out after the second pattern tropical uniform? If it did, why the differences in cut and construction from the tropical version, and why does it still have epaulets?

Just out of curiosity, what did the trousers to this uniform look like? I have a pair of sateen trousers with exposed-button cargo pockets, abd billowing -- not often seen w/ cargo pockets.

post-1424-1230507450.jpg

post-1424-1230507455.jpg

I saw a few of these a while back that were up for sale, they are difficult to obtain.

They are jungle jacket prototypes.

The examples that I saw were not badged except for one of them, which had the 82nd Abn badge.

I believe there was another version as well, but I cannot recall the configuration.

My two cents.

Duffy

Ricardo,

I believe the trousers that you have shown here are the M65 type.

For the type shown above your posting, not 100% sure but if anything...they look somewhat like

a medical / nurse variation.....don't quote me though on that.

My two cents.

DUFFY

not the same but similar on Bay State Militaria, same cut with the belt but in ripstop. had an armour patch too.

"Exceptionally RARE Temperate Climate belted Jungle Jacket made from ripstop. A Field Trial item for a uniform never adopted. Armor patch removed from sleeve."

part the way down the page

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/vietnam/vietnamuniforms.htm