Named Early War Salty Captain M1 - St. Clair liner

36thIDAlex

This is probably one of my best finds recently. I came in contact with a former collector downsizing his collection on facebook and managed to snag a great deal on this.

It's an original fixed bail front seam M1. The entire helmet is in fantastic shape and just resonates with that salty, used look. The pot itself is all original from the cork finish paint job to the handmade netting (very fragile, almost tore it when putting the liner back in). The liner itself is an early war St. Clair fully painted inside and out including a very nice pair of Captain bars. All the interior is in great shape with only some minor field repairs done to the rear of the sweatband (I'm not an expert on St. Clairs so if anyone has more info feel free to add).

One of the best parts is that the original soldier had his name stamped inside the pot and on top of the liner-- "W. F. Edinger Capt QMC." I've been having trouble tracking down information on Cpt. Edinger so if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it, this is one item I definitely want to learn more about. Enjoy!

post-167017-0-59630700-1516765206.jpg

post-167017-0-99968100-1516765212.jpg

post-167017-0-27460000-1516765218.jpg

Based on the pictures the SC liner doesn't appear to have its interior painted. Is there green paint on the inside? Interior painting was dropped before the introduction of cotton susupension. However, there are always exceptions :)

It does have the cotton suspension with snaps to take the rayon headbands, though.

Rene

Based on the pictures the SC liner doesn't appear to have its interior painted. Is there green paint on the inside? Interior painting was dropped before the introduction of cotton susupension. However, there are always exceptions :)

It does have the cotton suspension with snaps to take the rayon headbands, though.

Rene

Yeah you are probably right. I don't have much experience with the rubber liners so I wasn't sure how obvious inferior paint would be.

lost-and-found-history

I was able to locate a previously SECRET classified document related to Operation Overlord, titled, "KEY LIST OPERATIONS OVERLORD and RANKIN C." This 132 page document lists the names and ranks of Senior Officers and enlisted personnel and their level of knowledge regarding the operations. The list comprises names from the Office of Deputy Theater Commander to Fiscal, G1, G2, G3 and G4 sections, Adjudant General, Provost Marshall, Air Operations, Quartermaster, Ordanance, Medical, Fuels, and everything in between. Captain W. F. Edinger is listed in the Quartermaster section as having "complete knowledge" of both Operation OVERLORD and RANKIN C. The document is dated 15 may 1944 and originates from HQ ETO US Army. The title page reads, "The following key list of individuals having knowledge of Operations Overlord and Rankin C is forwarded for your information. Complete knowledge includes target dates and assault areas. Limited knowledge means knowledge of the operations generally, but such knowledge does not include target dates and assault areas."

"Operation RANKIN was an Allied unrealized series of three plans for large forces to move into northern Europe before the date set for ‘Overlord’ in the event that Germany underwent a sudden and drastic military or economic deterioration (1943/44). ‘Rankin C’ was concerned with a movement onto the European continent in the event of a cessation of German resistance. In this eventuality, therefore, the requirement was to ensure the rapid occupation of the areas appropriate for the enforcement of the terms of unconditional surrender laid down by the Allied governments."

Looks like you stumbled onto a pretty historic D-day related item! Congrats!!!

lost-and-found-history

Additionally, in a document dated 1 August 1943 from Service of Supply HQ European Theater of Operations, Captain (then 1st Lieutenant) FW Edinger is listed on the roster, with his residency being Room #318 at the Cumberland Hotel in London, England. His landline extension was #1326 in case you were curious!

Rene

The interior hasn't been painted, only scuffed or dusty.....Bodes

I was able to locate a previously SECRET classified document related to Operation Overlord, titled, "KEY LIST OPERATIONS OVERLORD and RANKIN C." This 132 page document lists the names and ranks of Senior Officers and enlisted personnel and their level of knowledge regarding the operations. The list comprises names from the Office of Deputy Theater Commander to Fiscal, G1, G2, G3 and G4 sections, Adjudant General, Provost Marshall, Air Operations, Quartermaster, Ordanance, Medical, Fuels, and everything in  between. Captain W. F. Edinger is listed in the Quartermaster section as having "complete knowledge" of both Operation OVERLORD and RANKIN C. The document is dated 15 may 1944 and originates from HQ ETO US Army. The title page reads, "The following key list of individuals having knowledge of Operations Overlord and Rankin C is forwarded for your information. Complete knowledge includes target dates and assault areas. Limited knowledge means knowledge of the operations generally, but such knowledge does not include target dates and assault areas."

"Operation RANKIN

was an Allied unrealized series of three plans for large forces to move into northern Europe before the date set for ‘Overlord’ in the event that Germany underwent a sudden and drastic military or economic deterioration (1943/44). 

‘Rankin C’ was concerned with a movement onto the European continent in the event of a cessation of German resistance. In this eventuality, therefore, the requirement was to ensure the rapid occupation of the areas appropriate for the enforcement of the terms of unconditional surrender laid down by the Allied governments."

Looks like you stumbled onto a pretty historic D-day related item! Congrats!!!

I am in utter shock, absolutely ecstatic. I bought it for a measly 180 thinking it was a great deal for an early war helmet in that condition but man little did I know I would be buying such an incredible piece. Thank you so much for the information, I would never have found it otherwise!!!! That’s absolutely incredible. I think I’ve found a new centerpiece for the collection. Thank you so so much!

lost-and-found-history

I am in utter shock, absolutely ecstatic. I bought it for a measly 180 thinking it was a great deal for an early war helmet in that condition but man little did I know I would be buying such an incredible piece. Thank you so much for the information, I would never have found it otherwise!!!! That’s absolutely incredible. I think I’ve found a new centerpiece for the collection. Thank you so so much!

It was absolutely my pleasure! Given the positive ID and history, I'd say that you spent about 1/4 of what that helmet combination is worth!