Cannon balls?

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

Does anyone know what these are and there value? I've had them for over a decade. Got them as a kid, don't remember much about them. One is clearly metal in feel and was purposefully made, the other is clearly rock but also very round, almost on purpose. Any thoughts or what and price?

post-13708-0-53093100-1516639616_thumb.jpeg

fordmustanggt_350

Do you have any size or weight reference to the iron ball? I really have doubts about the rock one. Just my opinion.

tdogchristy90

Do you have any size or weight reference to the iron ball? I really have doubts about the rock one. Just my opinion.

Doing my best to measure it....

7 inch in diameter.

1.5-2lb weight.

Thanks.

30-30remchester

The iron one could very likely be from a ball mill. When ore is extracted from a mine it is in varying sizes with the ore contained both on the outside and inside. To get to the ore on the inside, the mined rock is loaded into a huge drum similar to a monster cement truck drum. This drum has slits and holes throughout so that very fine ore and host rock can fall through. Then a truckload of similar steel balls are added to the drum and the thing begins to spin. The steel balls crush the ore into a fine dust allowing the owner to get at the ore inside of the host rock. Coming from mining country about everyone around here has a few of these as door stops. This is one possibility.