M1912 Summer tunic

hc8604

I recently bought an enlisted summer tunic. Did they wear these in Europe? I couldn't really find an answer in the forum or online. What trousers would have been worn with it? I don't know much about WWI stuff, not sure if I got the name right...

Thanks!

world war I nerd

The U.S. Army, 1911 Cotton Service Dress, made from both olive drab & khaki cotton, was intended for wear during the summer months and in the tropics. The 1911 Woolen Service Dress was to be worn during the winter months and in any location that was not considered “tropical.”

The cotton uniform was comprised of a cotton service coat and matching cotton breeches.

The 1911 Cotton Service Dress was the most common uniform issued to recruits in the stateside WW I training camps. Prior to shipping out for France, the vast majority of the troops destined for the AEF turned in their khaki cotton service dress and received olive drab service dress, which was the prescribed uniform for all AEF personnel.

During World War I, cotton service dress was not an article of issue in the AEF. Therefore no cotton service replacement uniforms were ever shipped to France. With the exception of the blue & tan denim fatigue/work uniforms, all U.S. Army uniforms issued overseas, were made from olive drab wool.

However, due to a shortage of wool uniforms in the United States during the winter of 1917 -1918, it was decided by the War Department that units training in the warmer states would continue to wear cotton service dress, while the organizations training in the colder states would be issued olive drab wool uniforms. Because of this, one division, the 40th Infantry Division, arrived in France wearing cotton service dress. Once overseas, the cotton service dress was likely exchanged for OD wool at the earliest opportunity. Other organizations may have arrived in France wearing khaki cotton, but the 40th is the only unit that I’m aware of that did so.

I have seen only few, as in three, photos of AEF troops wearing khaki cotton. One was of a stevedore in the, Service of Supply wearing khaki cotton breeches and a blue denim fatigue/work coat behind the lines. Another was of an officer of an unknown unit wearing the khaki cotton uniform (service coat & breeches). The third was a company of U.S. Marines wearing the Marine Corps version of khaki cotton service dress. To date, I’ve never seen a period photo of an AEF soldier at the front or in combat wearing cotton service dress.

In a nut shell, khaki cotton uniforms were commonly worn in the United States, but rarely seen overseas in France during WW I.

I was intending to post some photos, but I’m pressed for time right now and will add them later this afternoon.

Not to get too far off topic, but how on earth did the doughboys of WWI manage to march and fight their way through France in the summer heat while wearing these heavy wool uniforms? When I think back to how hot ripstop cotton BDUs seemed in the summer months when I was in, I cannot even imagine a wool tunic and breeches in the summertime...

We tend to forget that in that time period a wool coat, wool trousers, and often a wool or tweed vest under the coat was the norm in men's civilian clothing, even in the hot summer months. Yes, cotton-based jeans and coveralls were common outfits for dirty manual labor, and often worn by the poorer segment of society. But for most men the wool military uniform would have been little different from their going out or "public" clothes back home.

world war I nerd, Thank you for your very detailed response! I appreciate your time to help me on this.

I heard that wool is more breathable and helps circulate air and remove moisture or something like that?