7th Cavalry, Sturgis Dakota Territory, and my great-great-uncle W.W. Robinson Jr.

SFC_Clames

post-176363-0-57087000-1516583630_thumb.jpg

post-176363-0-52304900-1516583643_thumb.jpg

post-176363-0-90714600-1516583655_thumb.jpg

Last photo was taken at Wounded Knee while he was Adjutant, Second Squadron, 7th U.S. Cavalry. I don't know how many original John C. H. Grabill photos are running around outside of the collection of the Library of Congress but that is one of them.

Wow,Thanks an awesome photo. Do you have any others to share?? Thanks for sharing,Jay

None except for several portraits of W.W. Robinson Jr. taken later in life. Majority of what I have centers around Ft. Riley CRTC in 1941 - 1943.

"I don't know how many original John C. H. Grabill photos are running around outside of the collection of the Library of Congress but that is one of them."

Hello SFC_Clames

Here are a couple original Grabill photos in my collection, I may another one or two but don't remember for sure.

402003896.jpg

post-12145-0-03936000-1516669195_thumb.jpg

Aside from the portrait with that custom cavalry officer shirt being amazing, the first photo depicting the mounted dress parade is also great. Any chance of getting a closeup in order to get a better look at a helmet? Was curious if they were wearing the Model 1872 or Model 1881 helmet.

Aside from the portrait with that custom cavalry officer shirt being amazing, the first photo depicting the mounted dress parade is also great. Any chance of getting a closeup in order to get a better look at a helmet? Was curious if they were wearing the Model 1872 or Model 1881 helmet.

I'll see what I can do with the scanned photo, if it doesn't work out I'll try a small USB microscope that does very well for close up shots.

• 1 month later...
ludwigh1980

Just saw this thread. That 4th Cavalry shirt being shown is killer. I would love to see an original. With the low survival of fatigue shirts of this period and the rarity of such customization I wonder if any have survived. Always great to see such treasures (photographs) still with the family and still with the history. I have purchased so many box lots of cabinet cards at estate sales and nothing is known about them. Thank you very much for sharing them with the forum.