ID M1 Medic helmet from Normandy

Easy502

There are only two Gierok's listed on NARA, one of them with an enlistment date pretty much precluding participation in the Normandy campaign. It looks like a pretty easy research project.

JL

The tag is from the American Red Cross, so this might not have been a soldier at all. It'll be tough to research if it is, since ARC records aren't accessible.

The tag is from the American Red Cross, so this might not have been a soldier at all.  It'll be tough to research if it is, since ARC records aren't accessible.

I was thinking the same thing. Why would there be a Red Cross tag inside of of a helmet a soldier wore? Very interesting in any case and a great helmet, thanks for showing it to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could have been a soldier who was an RC volunteer.

I once had a grouping from an 82nd Glider Captain who was an RC volunteer.

He had RC buttons on his 4 pocket jacket with an RC rocker over his airborne rocker.

On his helmet he had a very small Red Cross painted on the front but he wasn't a doctor or medic.

His last name was Wheeler and came from Lucerne County , Pa.

My old buddy Smitty RIP turned the whole group up.

Beatiful helmet, Thats is a great example thanks for showing us. try and do some more research you never know if you will find something good come up.

Just a quick look, but it seems that Iggy and Charles A. were brothers from Wisconsin. From Ancestry:

Birth of Brother

His brother Ignatz was born on July 5, 1922, in Wisconsin when Charles A was 11 years old.

5 Jul 1922Wisconsin

• 2 months later...