WWII USMC Frogskin Camo Backpack

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: I recently picked this WWII USMC Frogskin camouflage backpack. There is a "US" marking ....but no other that I can find. The straps are there but the addition fastening straps have been removed. On the top of the pack is a pouch but the zipper is missing....which could easily be replaced...all other straps/hook and etc is present. I picked this up for approx. $15.

Based upon the missing items....what do you think it worth? Thanks,

post-153915-0-88606200-1516428760_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-33112300-1516428777_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-88607300-1516428788_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-17120600-1516428805_thumb.jpg

The makers mark is typically inside of the top pouch area, the pouch that has the missing zipper.

Looks like the two straps off of the main shoulder straps for attaching to the cartridge belt are missing. Best estimate on price would be 75-100 range on eBay in current state

Schnicklfritz

They were an Army issue item, but Marines would use them when they could "procure" them. Both the camo and OD green variations can be seen in use by Marines in the war.

Hi: I took the pack outside in the Pacific Northwest sunlight (smile) and found an manufacturer's markings under the upper compartment inside the flap. ... but can't make out "......40" The draw-string is present and I've elected to sell on Ebay...I probably should offer here

I posted 2 pictures of the manufacture mark....maybe someone can make it out. I can't Thanks

post-153915-0-08259300-1516487987_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-79663800-1516487997_thumb.jpg

Nice pack, $15 is a steal. Prices are all over depending on which story folks are attaching to them "Special Forces" "Marine Raider", etc, etc.....

I think a good baseline for the camo version in used, complete shape is around the $200 mark. Your with a replaced zipper, maybe $150? both my original OD one an camo one have replaced zippers...doesn't bother me, but some people don't like repaired gear (but you repainted your WWII Jeep,right?)

As stated above, these are Army issue. Never have seen a picture of a Marine using one - but might have happened on Bougainville. These show up mostly on Army troops in New Guinea / Solomons 1943-early 44. The units that received them then kept carrying them into the Philippines (31st / 41st Div among others). 1st Filipino Inf Battalion also had them as the one I have is named to a member of that unit. The early Jungle packs are a pea green, same pattern. These were issued side by side. Both packs also show up in the CBI.

There is also a larger version in dark OD fielded in 1943 called "Pack, Field" - or M1943 field pack by collectors. It was intended to be the "new" army wide pack but never saw issue in numbers. They show up ad-hoc in the ETO with replacements from fall-winter 1944. People often mistake the Pack, Field for the jungle pack as they are very similar.

I make out with some photo enhancement "M____BROS SMO ___ CO ___40".....I think??? Someone listed on this site or another on how to "uncover" the ink MM...but