Organizing the M1912 Squad Kit

link

Hello all,

Newbie here with my first question. Regarding the older, blued M1912 squad kits with the wood insert is there a specific way to organize the 10 brushes and 10 screwdrivers? I can't imagine with them being military issue there isn't a prescribed way. By any chance does the small slot at the front of the wood insert have something to do with it, or what's it for? I found the previous topic with all the M1912 kits but squinting and zooming best I could I still couldn't make out how they are arranged.

Thanks in advance for your help on this and future questions.

I looked in my Clawson Collectors guide and it doesn't address placement. I'm not sure if Canfields WW I weapons book has anything about prescribed placement. I don't have it at my fingertips. I think the small pieces just go in the box as you can fit them in. I put one together from a NOS late WW II box I bought at a gun show in the '70's. I didn't know what it actually was, but I thought it was worth the $4 I paid it then.

BKW

As far as I can tell the notch in the wood block is just to allow clearance for the tiny little bump inside from the latch mechanism. It's a lot of space for a little bump, but I don't see any other use of it.

post-126334-0-11587600-1516544659_thumb.jpg

You know what they say about a picture's worth! That is great. Thanks! In the park'd box with the welded dividers, are your steel, painted oilers a force fit? Mine can only fit in the left side and then it's still a push.

I also noticed your brass rods seem to differ in length. I only have 4 so far. Two are the same length with the other two both being shorter with one of them shorter than the other. None of them are marked. Is this typical or indicative of a specific time period?

Thanks again for the help.

After additional observation of the pics I see my problem with the blued box. By any chance were the blued boxes with wood inserts intended for the initially issued boar bristle brushes and never for the later bronze brushes? The brushes in the pic appear to be boar bristle and are about 1/2 the length of the compartment and stack end-to end. The bronze brushes (1005-550-4036) as in the park'd box extend about 3/4 of the length and therefore you can't stack 10 in there. Darn the luck. Any idea if the boar bristle are available and more important affordable? I guess for aesthetics I could get 10 Pro-Shot 45 bronze brushes which being 2-1/8" should readily fit end to end.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I will check on the length of the brass rods, but I think they are all the same. I do think this is an original and not restored kit, it sill has the wax paper wrapping which appears original. I'll look for any markings on the rods. I'll also check on the fit of the containers in the WW2 kit.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of additional info to add, these came from a reliable source, but I have not studied them in any depth myself. I hoped the pictures would be helpful by themselves.

john

The pictures are great and they are the answer! I'm thinking the brushes in your blued box are bristles and not brass. Can you tell? Also can you compare the brushes length?. I'm thinking that is the answer to my quandary.

I do appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have or know a source for getting 10 of the WWI vintage boar bristle brushes? I don't have enough posts to ask in the WANTED forum so thought I would ask here.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

The square cutout in the wood that appears to be for nothing is for the lock that was used on the first 403 kits (if I recall correctly). When the requirement for a lock was dropped, ( verrry early on) the drawing was never changed for production. I've never seen one of the very earliest boxes with a lock.