5th Infantry helmet from the Battle of the Bulge

Luxembourg

About one year ago, I got this helmet from an acquaintance of mine (for free!).

He said that he found it in an old house in Reisdorf (just next to Diekirch) here in Luxembourg while clear it out.

Its a 5th Infantry helmet that was used during the Battle of the Bulge here in Luxembourg.

One bail was repaired and it appears that the soldier wrote the first letter of his last name and the 4 last numbers of his ASN in the liner. The liner was found next to the helmet so I suppose that they belong together.

Exactly 73 years ago:

After some research, I found out that the the 2nd Regiment of the 5th Infantry Division held the line between Ingeldorf and Reisdorf. For two weeks, between January 1st till the 17th 1945, they did reconnaissance patrols and crossings over the Sauer.

In the early morning hours of January 18, 1945, the long awaited attack began with 2 simultaneous crossings of the Sauer river: the 2nd Infantry Regiment between Ingeldorf and Reisdorf and the 10th Infantry Regiment near Bettendorf. During the night, the American soldiers had silently pushed their wooden assault boats through knee-deep snow towards the crossing points while cautiously avoiding mines and booby traps emplaced there by German engineers. Just before daybreak, they then attempted a first crossing covered by an artificial smoke screen.

In Bettendorf, the first attempt was not detected by the enemy and soon, the troops of the 10th Infantry Regiment began to clear the village and to push on towards the north.

In Ingeldorf however, the 2nd Infantry Regiment found itself exposed to strong and precise machine gun and mortar fire and wasnt able to cross the Sauer without taking heavy losses. Several boats were hit and did subsequently sink, letting their occupants drown in the icy water. An assault bridge was destroyed twice by German mortar and artillery fire, but a third attempt carried out by the engineers was finally successful.

The river crossing had been costly and bloody, but it had given the US Army a new initiative in the southern part of the Bulge. On January 19, a bridgehead had thus been formed, and the 5th Infantry Division began its push towards the north of Luxembourg.

(Reference: Gaul, The Battle of the Bulge in Luxembourg (Vol. 2), Atglen 1995.)

I hope you enjoy the helmet and its history!

Alex

post-104836-0-19893000-1516300348_thumb.jpeg

Simon Lerenfort

Nice relic, the small hole in the front of the helmet brim was most likely made by a subsequent civilian owner who may have fitted a handle to it in order to make it into a useful bowl. Such a hole was not made by shrapnel damage, nor would the soldier make such a hole in his helmet. A lovely gift to receive and good that it has not travelled far from the place it was lost, discarded from.

Wow what a great helmet! I can't believe that the 5th infantry insignia has remained on the helmet after all these years, most likely because it was civilian used. Thanks for sharing!

Hunt

My oma told me that helmets make great flower pots.

Awesome find!

Indeed ?

Back in the early 90s my wife and I used to stay in a small Auberge In Calvados that had some very manky m1s which were still being used as hanging baskets.

In 99 at the Beltring show I stupidly turned down an M2 shell with repaired loops, an applied majors palm and a big hole drilled in the top as the condition was a bit too rough my words. What a tool I am, sure many will agree with that ?

I'm trying to understand what caused the vertical cracks around the bottom 1/3rd of that 5th Inf helmet... is it on the surface, or clear through the metal?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I'm trying to understand what caused the vertical cracks around the bottom 1/3rd of that 5th Inf helmet... is it on the surface, or clear through the metal?

Stress cracks, seen mostly on early WWII helmets but also on some post war helmets.

Stress cracks, seen mostly on early WWII helmets but also on some post war helmets.

I actually have a helmet I believe to be made post late/post Vietnam that has a 1/3rd inch crack as well, they seem to show up on shells from all different eras.

Hunt

Great piece!

I'm on vacation in Echternach sometimes, and there's a monument dedicated to the 5th ID there as well. The 4th ID helped liberate it. Not sure if it's near where you live, but it's probably not that far since it's such a small country. Really beautiful country though. Love the nature there, the forests, the wildlife, the peace... Whenever you are there you can't help but wonder what the soldiers must have been through at the time. Pieces like this really make that history come alive.

Some other really nice 5th ID pieces are to be seen in the national museum at Diekirch. Absolutely mind blowing collection there.

Cheers

:mellow:

"Love the nature there, the forests, the wildlife, the peace... Whenever you are there you can't help but wonder what the soldiers must have been through at the time."