Questions: U.S. wartime military burials at sea

Bluehawk

That would be a fine way to go.

There was that sequence in Victory at Sea, I always felt a very poignant and moving scene, a burial at sea in the form of a wrecked fighter plane with it's pilot inside being heaved over the side, would assume from this that the pilot either was killed on landing as his plane cracked up, or died a bit later from wounds and or injuries.

It was the gunner in a TBF who was basically blown apart in his turret. And the plane was a mess too. So they used it as the casket and rolled off the back end of the carrier.

It was the gunner in a TBF who was basically blown apart in his turret. And the plane was a mess too. So they used it as the casket and rolled off the back end of the carrier.

The gunner's name was Loyce Edward Deen.

Here is a link to his memorial page -

http://www.loyceedeen.org/

Larry

That's it, been a long long time since I seen it (thought it was a fighter, it still never the less, loses any of it's poignancy.

​Though I cannot answer your question directly, I think burials at sea happened quite often when ships are out to sea and on campaigns. There simply is no way to store bodies nor easy ways to transfer dead to burial sites. At best they can only hold them a few days.

post-56-0-29591000-1518538087_thumb.jpg

What you say is surely true, and thank you for the photographs, which only deepen thoughts of this unique form of commemoration for our Fallen, upon the sea.

• 5 months later...

I had a friend who I started to hang out with in the 80s after i got out of the Army, he was in the Navy onboard the CV JFK, a Bosun he was like 77-79, he said there was an old timer, a Chief, who was killed in a flight deck accident, and was buried at sea, friend went on to say that this was in his will that if he died or was killed at sea, that this is what he wanted. So would there be truth in this?