Navy Corpsman helmets

dustin

stealthytyler

. Sorry, have to disagree with your entire statement. Non rated medical personnel were Hospital Apprentice (Seaman Second Class), Hospitalman (Seaman First Class) then Pharmicist Mate (PO 3 to CPO). All of them, reguardless of assignment. They were all routinely referred to as "Corpsmen". Not due to USMC, but because they were/are members of the US Navy Hosital Corps. So, yes, these guys are Corpsmen.

I meant to say pharmacist mate instead of HA. In all my research of beach battalions, the medical teams were for the most part listed as Pharmacist Mates on paper although there are some HA. I had always assumed that the term "corpsman" was only used for the sailors attached to the USMC in combat.

stealthytyler

A hospital apprentice is a corpsman.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I assumed the term for corpsman was only used with those attached to the USMC. I had never heard it used elsewhere.

I meant to say pharmacist mate instead of HA. In all my research of beach battalions, the medical teams were for the most part listed as Pharmacist Mates on paper although there are some HA. I had always assumed that the term "corpsman" was only used for the sailors attached to the USMC in combat.

. Their actual Rate, was Pharmacist Mate. So, officially, they would be listed on paper as such. Those assigned to the USMC are also listed on paper as Pharmacist Mate (PhoM). But collectively, they were called by Sailors and Marines as "Corpsmen" (or Doc).

stealthytyler

. Their actual Rate, was Pharmacist Mate. So, officially, they would be listed on paper as such. Those assigned to the USMC are also listed on paper as Pharmacist Mate (PhoM). But collectively, they were called by Sailors and Marines as "Corpsmen" (or Doc).

Roger that!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some interesting shots of helmet markings on a LCVP loading casualties in Saipan. I guess since the guys receiving the wounded are on a boat they're corpsmen? A little tongue in cheek, but it seems likely that they'd be medics of some sort, right?

post-69474-0-74642700-1517021573_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to the 70-80's deploy with 250+ guys on an old DD to the other side of the world with two HM's "Hospital Corpsman" one an IDC " Independent Duty Corpsmen" the other most likely not. You might call them an HM in the third party but most likely Doc or Corpsmen.

Last one, hopefully these aren't reposts from some old thread.

. Ok, there are a couple of Corpsmen here. NTP 24 ( the manual for Amphibious Operations, written in WW2), says that if possible, depending on the casualties carried, a boat should have a Corpsman. On the receiving ship, there are some Corpsmen. The guy with "CPS" ( Casuality Processing Station), being one. They are doing Triage on incoming wounded. Looked like a Doctor there in Khaki The rest are mostly "Handelers". They were guys from Deck and Supply, who handled cargo at debarked stations. The red rims on the helmets tell me these guys are "Debark 1or 2. Red were the Red stations (all the way forward, in Amphibs). Were They are getting guys out of boats for the Medical guys to check out. The Corpsmen sort them out into "Take Now!", "He can wait", " Make him comfortable, nothing we can do" and "Too Late". Think about that responsibility, put on some 18-19 year old, when you look at these photos.

Burning Hazard

Some neat pics, especially the ones with the stars painted on the dome or back of the shell.

I remember a similar one sold not long ago on M1 Helmet Depot (Steve, I'm just borrowing the pic for reference)

post-8715-0-48472300-1517172993.jpg

. Ok, there are a couple of Corpsmen here. NTP 24 ( the manual for Amphibious Operations, written in WW2), says that if possible, depending on the casualties carried, a boat should have a Corpsman. On the receiving ship, there are some Corpsmen. The guy with "CPS" ( Casuality Processing Station), being one. They are doing Triage on incoming wounded. Looked like a Doctor there in Khaki The rest are mostly "Handelers". They were guys from Deck and Supply, who handled cargo at debarked stations. The red rims on the helmets tell me these guys are "Debark 1or 2. Red were the Red stations (all the way forward, in Amphibs). Were They are getting guys out of boats for the Medical guys to check out. The Corpsmen sort them out into "Take Now!", "He can wait", " Make him comfortable, nothing we can do" and "Too Late". Think about that responsibility, put on some 18-19 year old, when you look at these photos.

Steve, you're a walking encyclopedia of Navy info. We're lucky to have you.

I second that! Thank you for all of the info about the CPS/helmet markings, I've never heard any of that before. Very neat and useful.

Thank you! There are guys on this forum who are So much better than I. Justin B, Salvage Sailor, great references. I'm just that guy who did this stuff. I did these things. I was boat crew in LCVPs and LCMs. I loved Amphibs in my day. Anyway, great stuff! Carry On!