My attempt at a SOG impression

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

Here's my SOG impression so far ( I also plan on doing VN 101st ABN but thats a LONG way to go- especially since im working more towards a Philippine scouts impression)

well anyway here it is

original items include:

Korean War era Pistol Belt

Field phone (still trying to find out which era it's from-the markings are too hard to make out)

M67 (?) suspenders

M1 carbine 15 round mag pouch-1944 dated- (will eventually be replaced by two M16 pouches)

Canteen cup (vietnam)

Canteen cover (post vietnam)

Vietnamese M16 Bandolier (It has vietnamese markings on it)

and everything else is stuff I got at surplus stores- ya I know its the WRONG TIGERSTRIPE

if you want to see anything tell me and I'll take a picture

yes I have a lazy eye ;)

SOGfront.jpg

SOGback.jpg

thanks

dont see the need for the M-1 Carbine pouches, and why go to universal pouches if your going to carry a shotgun? is that an Ithaca shotgun? Its got a pretty short barrel is it US Marked??

BrokenShovelDude
dont see the need for the M-1 Carbine pouches, and why go to universal pouches if your going to carry a shotgun? is that an Ithaca shotgun? Its got a pretty short barrel is it US Marked??

Well the M1 carbine was used by early advisors but I figured It just filled in the empty space on the belt. I plan to replace the shotgun with an XM177 or M3A1 replica. And no it's an M870 that I sawed off- it's a crappy airsoft gun I painted to look like a vietnam era shotgun because I used to do Vietnam airsoft but I lost interest after a while.

Get rid of the 1980's nylon canteen cover. and with all impressions, wash the uniforms a few dozen times and wallow in some mud and leave it to "set" in. Than you will look appropriate. Tiger stripes take on a different look when faded, that is what I did with mine. You will also want at least two canteens, the jungle is a thirsty place.

As for weapons, you really have little restrictions, I carry a G-3 for mine. Was a bitch to blank adapt, but so totally worth it!

• 1 month later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
As long as your having fun you can always tweek the little things

RON

Or you can man-up and call the Camp McCall phone directory. Ask for Mr. Lowell Stevens (CSM Retired). He can set you straight on the basic gear for a SOG Warrior.

Rock

my site might help get some basics on a SOG impression, all our work is based on lost of research and feedback from Vets etc

www.modernforces.com

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Or you can man-up and call the Camp McCall phone directory. Ask for Mr. Lowell Stevens (CSM Retired). He can set you straight on the basic gear for a SOG Warrior.

Rock

Yeah, Don't listen to me....Lowell Stevens served in the SOG Teams and as a MACV Recondo Instructor in Vietnam and is featured in correspondence relating directly to SOG. He's gruff but one of the dwindling number of SOG Vets left around.

Rock

Yeah, Don't listen to me....Lowell Stevens served in the SOG Teams and as a MACV Recondo Instructor in Vietnam and is featured in correspondence relating directly to SOG. He's gruff but one of the dwindling number of SOG Vets left around.

Rock

Lowell

Is a great guy to talk to.

I spent many hours talking with him

Rock

and he is happy for people to call him up and chew the fat? if so I will and thanks for the suggestion, I did think you were being sarcastic :lol: but thats just me used to everyone being sarcastic in the UK

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
and he is happy for people to call him up and chew the fat? if so I will and thanks for the suggestion, I did think you were being sarcastic :lol: but thats just me used to everyone being sarcastic in the UK

He's a retired Green Beret Command Sgt Major, so I can't guarantee your safety ;)

I've chatted with him and he's a good guy. Contact the 18th Airborne Corps Historians office first and ask for Donna Tabor. She can intro you sometime.

Rock

He's a retired Green Beret Command Sgt Major, so I can't guarantee your safety ;)

I've chatted with him and he's a good guy. Contact the 18th Airborne Corps Historians office first and ask for Donna Tabor. She can intro you sometime.

Rock

Cheers for that. will try my luck...